Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CJ Still Won\'t Start

All right I need some help....again please. 85 CJ 7 new starter, new fuel pump, new fuel filter, and new hoses, but I can't get the 258 to start, and stay running. The ignition module tested all right, and when I put carb cleaner in carb, it'll run, but the carb isn't getting gas. The sending unit is pumping, but the carb bowl is dry. Please let me here from you, I need some input please. By the way I have tested the coil and the distributor it was shocking, which is nice!!! Sorry I believe it is a Carter but am not 100% sure.
Thanks for any advice in advance and specifics,
CJ More

·
Registered
197 Posts
Re: CJ Still Won\'t Start

I read your previous posts...you said the carb was getting gas. Now I am under the impression it is not. If not, that narrows the scope of your problem to fuel lines, pump and carb(maybe the pump in the carb). But I thought you said you replaced the fuel pump...My suggestion...because I have had this problem. You may have water in your carb, or all out bad gas. You may want to check that out and drain and flush if needed. Good luck.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
JK
78CJ5

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I had the same problem, my jeep would die out right ater I got it started. I put a gallon can of fuel on my bumper and ran a line to the carb and it ran fine,turns out I had a small crack in my fuel line.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

It should be easy, you know the problem is fuel. Take the hose off the end output line from the pump and have a friend
crank the engine. See if fuel squirts out. If you don't have fuel squirting out, you know the pump isn't working. It could
be you just haven't got it primed right or as someone else said, you have a leak. Easist way to prime the pump is take
compressed air, remove the input hose to the fuel pump, blow air in the hose pressurizing the gas tank just a bit, and
quickly slide the hose over the pump. This will clear the fuel line and you should hear air bubling in the tank. As soon
as you let off the air, the fuel will shoot down the line and into the fuel pump. Once you done that, you know the pump
is primed.

All this advice comes from a rather reckless jeeper, use at your own risk...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Terry L. Howe http://www.off-road.com/~txh3202

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for the input...I have tried to prime the fuel pump, by just cranking the engine with out the fuel filter on. Gas was everywhere. I have checked all the lines. And it ends up the gas is getting to the last line before the carb, but doesn't enter the carb. When I pour, gas in the carb, it'll run, but when I work the throttle there is no gas coming out of the jets. Is this something a rebuild will remedy, or its it beyond, or something completely different. Keep up the responses, anything is better then I have. And Terry all jeepers are just a bit foolish. That's why it's a jeep thing!! Thanks!!
CJ More

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Okay, so you have plenty of fuel, just none in the carb. Maybe the floats are jammed or something is clogged. Maybe
the accelerator pump is beat. I would take the top off the carb and look at the floats, see if there is fuel in the bowls.
Take a look at the accelerator pump and see how it looks...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Terry L. Howe http://www.off-road.com/~txh3202

·
Registered
630 Posts

Check the needle valve that is operated by the float. It may be stuck or plugged, and not letting gas get into the float bowl. When you take the top off the carb the float bowl should be full of gas. I'll bet it's not.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

LooseNut and Terry, you win the prize of knowing another Jeep is up and running again! Just in time for the snow!!!! It was the needle that was stuck closed! minor problem, but all is resolved so thanks again for the education, and advice! You guys are....FABULOUS

CJ More

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.