Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that a steering box from a Cutlass or a Cadillac will bolt to the factory location on a CJ. Is this true? My friend wants to put power steering on his '79 CJ-7 and this would be the cheapest way if it's possible. Are there better alternatives? Thanks for any input.

Happy Trails,
Chris

G

·
You want a Saginaw power steering gear. Darn near every rear wheel drive GM will have the right box. AGR makes a great gear, but $! Look for one with a "76" cast into the side of the box (I believe a GM truck is the best place to look), they are a little stronger due to a bigger bearing.

G

·
Many Saginaw boxes have three mounting holes and will not stand up to 4 wheeling. You will need to find a 4 bolt box. Also if you convert make sure to install a stearing brace or you will experience excessive frame movement which will will limit turn radius and will eventually crack the frame.

80 CJ5, 52M38

·
Registered
630 Posts
I wouldn't put in a gearbox from anything but a Jeep because the Jeep ones are geared differently. A box from a car or pick-up will turn a Jep too quickly and be dangerous. I rebuilt for a CJ costs about $200.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

G

·
You can use a variable ratio box, such as out of a Cadillac. These have a slow ratio on center and become quicker towards
the ends. This makes the Jeep easy to drive on the highway. I had one in my old 70CJ5 and it worked great.

Gary

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gary,
Do you remember the year of the Caddy that donated your box? I'm guessing they're all the same in the late 70's-early 80's, that's where we'll start looking if we can't find a Jeep set-up for cheap. Thanks for the replies, maybe you Jeep guys aren't So bad after all :) Just kidding! Thanks again.

Happy Trails,
Chris

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
If your jeep does not have power brakes the same caddy with the power steering has the hydroboost that runs off the power steering pump so get that too. I got my saginaw off a 78 regal. there are two saginaws, the newer model the hoses are metric so make sure the pump and box comes off the same year model. The older models are better for swapping. and no, it does not have to be a jeep model. Here anything from a jeep are $100 more.

brownbagg </font color=red>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.