Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a stock 1980 CJ-7 running 31's. The Jeep has been in the family since new. I don't have a whole lot of mechanical experience but am anxious to learn. The steering is loose and has quite a bit of wander. I am considering replacing the steering shaft. Does anybody have any other suggestions? Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
my sugg. is to start at the steering shaft and go down taking a look at all the steering components. the box, the mount, the pitman arm, and your end links- make sure they are all in good shape (they shouldn't have much play in them at all. check your dampner as well, i see alot of people just keep replacing perfectly good dampners and not adressing the real issue. odds are a few things need to be taken care of. at least thats always the way it goes for me.
glad to hear the jeep has stayed in the family. hope you can continue to.
ryan

77 cj5 sorta, V8, 4"lift, 33's, lotsa miss'n metal

· Registered
13,180 Posts
1. Fill in your profile!
2. Cj_in_ok has give you some quality advice to chew on.
3. If you're lacking mechanical experience then there's only one way to get it... and that's start to do your own work. Before you ever turn a wrench or hold that screwdriver do your homework. Get a manual, heck, get TWO different manuals... or the gradndaddy of 'em all, the OEM Field Service Manual. Then Read, re-read, and read again. Mark down the stuff you don't understand and ask on the forum. We're all a pretty friendly bunch and won't bite too badly. Also it pays to have two heads when you do some work of this the first few times. Go visit a 4X4 club in your area. It dosen't have to be pure Jeep related... keeping up a vehicle is all the same... just the parts are different. The guys in the club will have more than enough expertese to help and usually will be tickled to help.

4. Take the rig to a tires shop. They usally give free estimates. Have the tech walk you around under the Jeep showing you the problems that are found. Then refuse the work...and go home and reason out what you've been told and plan to fix the stuff that's bad.

5. Jack up the front of the vehicle and start shaking all the suspension parts. Compare Driver' to Passenger's sides. You may find one side loose and the others not. Bingo! You've just found a problem.

Good Hunting!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice fellas. I took my steering shaft off this weekend. The U joints seem to have a little play in them. I am thinking about replacing the old steering shaft with a new one from Borgeson Universal Company. They offer two models. One is $30.00 more but offers a vibration reducer in addition to their standard shaft. Has anyone used these products? To me the $30.00 dollar difference for the vibration reducer seems worth it. Are there any mechanical disadvantages with going with the more expensive steering shaft? Thanks for your help.

Lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am sure the bolts are loose on your steering box mount, that is the same problem I have, and i neglected to fix it, and now the bolts stripped themselves out of the frame threading. My box allmost fell off while on the highway only 1 nut holding it on. Check all of the nuts on the box mount, and possible a cheap mod would be to order a steering brace. I just ordered the one from MORE. Seems to be a quality unit for 60 bucks.

'85 Scrambler

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.