Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1985 CJ7, AGR Super Box II, AGR power steering pump, 10.50x31 BFG All Terrains. My CJ has developed a strange problem with the steering. Before I start I should mention that this was occuring before I installed the AGR box and pump. It is not as bad after that installation, but still occurs. Seems to be when the vehicle is cold or has sat for several hours. After making a sharp turn like at a street corner or driveway, the steering does not want to come back to center. It will continue to pull in the direction turned. As I compensate for it by constantly trying to steer the other way, it will sometimes start pulling the other direction. If I stop and move the wheels from side to side (does not have to be lock to lock) several times it seems to go away. I have checked out the front end several times, the front axle u-joints are fine. A point here - last month when there was a lot of snow on the roads for several days and the CJ was in 4wd with the front hubs locked, I do not recall this problem occuring.
Do I need a front end alignment? What could be causing this? It is really starting to get annoying. I don't think the sterring damper could be the problem, I replace the stock one with a Rancho about 4 years ago. Also last year I replaced the ball joints on the passenger side, but not the drivers side. Could this be a problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm starting to pull my hair out over this one, and I can't afford to do that!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I had the same problem, same symptoms, which turned out to be ball joints. They were worn so bad that the edges would catch and not allow the wheel to turn back without some force, thus the over-compensation for turns. Hope that helps some
Scott

Keep on Jeepin'
Scott

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.