Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had 4 estimates for painting my 85cj7. Prices range from 600 to 1500. My delima is that I actually use my jeep! My paint on the hood and fenders is bad to to point where I worry about the metal! It doesn't need to be show quality, but it's never been painted before. Question is: What have you paid to get your jeep painted? and how good a job was it from 1 - 5. Thanks! Ken

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ken
When my buddies and I go wheelin we tend to get alot of scratches(dents and missing fenders)in our paint jobs, since paint is expensive and if you don't really care about quality, just good rust coverage, might I suggest humble spray paint. Tremclad or Plasticote seem to work well, It rains alot here in British Colubia, Canada. So it cost a nominal amount each year to repaint every thing that has not yet had the opportunity to see the spray can in the last 12 months. This is a great way to save money since paint is allways getting scraped off, expensive or cheap. And the best part is that you get to change colors as often as you like.
If you like epensive long lasting paint. Make a friend who does autobody work, prep the jeep your self and buy the paint. This works too and you can a really good job for under $400us.

coot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds a bit much. If you have alot of body work (RUST) then I could see it, but for regular paint job, I've been quoted $350 at two different places. With body work, you are looking at about $500 depending on how bad it is. For a high dollar paint job, what you were quoted is not unreasonable; what I mean by high dollar is sanding/grinding down to metal, base coat, sand again, clear coat, sand again, and buff to mirror finish.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I suggest a paint job from Earl Scheib or Maaco if you're going to be wheeling hard. I think it's a good compromise
between quality and price. I personally plan to paint my Willys with flat military paint. It's cheap (30$ gallon), easy
to spray and touch up.

BHT

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just recently painted my jeep cj7 myself...it came out really nice...this was my first time ever painting a vehicle. Talk to someone who's had experience before, for me it was my father and friend. I spent about $120.00 on paint and supplies. I borrowed a compressor from a friend and a good automotive paintgun from my grandfather....it pays to know people. Or you could rent the equipment, it is a very inexpensive way of doing things. Consider doing it yourself, it builds character and gives you a boatload of experience. You're already a jeeper, you must know a thing or two about cars/jeeps, why not add this trade to your resume?! If you think about painting the jeep yourself make sure you talk to professionals at the Paint Store and get their opinions on what paint to use and how it should be used. There is also a good web-site in off-road.com that gives you pointers on painting. http://www.off-road.com/4x4web/faqs/paint.html. Painting a jeep cj7 is easier than you may think....remember to remove the doors, hood, tailgate and windsheild frame. And tape everthing and anything...if you don't want it painted, cover it! Painting your jeep is a fun inexpensive way of doing things and bonding w/your jeep!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well my buddy is a body guy and he painted mine. The first paint job which included all the body work,sanding and everything cost me $500 and it's a killer paint job. The suppies alone were $350. It is good paint, the stuff Peterbuilt uses on there trucks. Subsequent paintings and tuch ups are costing around $50 to $200 depending on the size of the area to repaint, and if therfe is body work.

Al
My web page

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It just so happens I have a friend that works at a local Maaco. They are kinda slow right now so he said bring it over and for $275 it will be ready in 2 days. The timing is a bit off but I'm sure he will honor my price in a couple of weeks. Look around for empty paint shops, bet you can find a good deal.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Around here you can't drive a block without seeing a Jeep, and some of them have VERY slick custom paint jobs that I'm sure were
very expensive and/or time consuming. I have never seen the logic in this, that is if you wheel your Jeep. My 85 still has the factory
white paint, easy to maintain and hasn't oxidized too bad, and it will always be that color. I'm with most of the other suggestions,
if you wheel the Jeep go as cheap as you can and still have a paint job you won't be embarassed of. One note, lighter colors don't
show damage as easy.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I already did the top with shake'm up! I used Hammerite and it works great and holds up well. I think I've decided to try my first paint job after all of your input! I do wheel about once ever month or two so Im not spending a ton on it, the Jeep is on http://www.off-road.com/~4solar4 . It's now a dead site with all the stuff off-road has been through but you can see mine and others there. I would like to put on some wrangler rear flares as my tires have dent both rear quarters from moving up and back. I have a fabricator friend who also paints and Im going to hit him up for help! I'll post the journey! KEn

·
Registered
228 Posts
another option would be to sign up for a night class at your local tech school, it's cheap and the equipment and advice comes with the class. We start ours on 12 jan

Brent & Sons
49-CJ3A, 51-CJ3A

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.