Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking in to buying a second vehicle that will be used for commuting to and from work and to 'play' with on weekends. I have narrowed it down to a late 70's model CJ or an early 80's front axle Toyota. I guess the main issue is gas mileage, what will a 258 I6 get to the gallon running 31's or 32's on average? I know the 22R will probably get better mpg but I've always wanted a Jeep because . . . well, just because it's a Jeep
Thanks, Bord

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
With stock gearing and a 5sp manual mine got 18mpg. Now I'm lucky to get 15mpg with 4.88:1 gears and NV4500.

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't give the gas mileage too much thought. Even if the CJ got good mileage, it would still take every penny you can scrape together.
First, there's the lift and tires. Then the gears, then . . . You get the idea.

If you're looking for cheap, get the Toyota. If you're looking for the basis of a good project, you can't beat a Jeep.

Jason '87YJ
(350/NP435/D300twinstick/SOA/GM14-FF-Detroit/D44)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would go with a 84-85 solid axle 4Runner (I think 85 had EFI) if I where you or maybe a an older XJ or scrambler.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The pickup would definitely get the vote for road-worthiness, although mileage isn't that hot, especially once you start with the bigger rubber. And everything I found about CJ's said "secondary vehicle at best" when I had mine runnin'. But, you love Jeeps & the Toy won't give you the same satisfaction if that's how you feel. Personally, I couldn't tolerate either for a daily driver, but I go 55 miles one-way to work. If it were a shorter commute (and one that didn't involve busy interstates), I could probably live with the Toy. But, even when I lived 3 miles from work, the snow would have to be pretty deep for me to park my front-wheel drive car & put up with my CJ for the trip in. Functional heat is a nice feature. Sounds like you really want the Jeep. Now, you just have to decide if you can stand to drive it all the time.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

· Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
I know four other people besides myself that have the Jeep as their primary vehicle. Three of them don't
own anything else, one has a 'vette but his girlfriend committed suicide in it and it was four days before
they found the body (uck). My other vehicles are a '55 T-bird and a Concept One dune buggy that
haven't been driven in years.

I drive 45 miles daily, sometimes more if I have to make a trip to the Ford plant, and I don't find it that
bad. It's not like riding in a Caddy, more like a WV beetle. I've thought about buying a second driver,
I could afford to pay cash for about anything I'd want, but the Jeep suits me fine. The 2000 T-bird is
tempting, but it would have to set outside. I'm not leaving the '55 in the weather and Taz gets real nasty
if I leave him out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 2000Frontier KC and it is my primary vehicle but at the rate I'm going now it will be wore out before I get it half way paid for if I don't get a second vehicle. I can ride my Suzuki to work during the summer but I would kind of like something to drive once or twice a week during the winter, or when its raining in the summer. Sorry for the life story. I am leaning very heavily toward a jeep, now if I can just find one for the right price.
Thanks for all the input

· Registered
4,060 Posts
When you mention the "right price" you bring to memoried the arguments my dad and I had when looking at Jeeps. There was $6k to spend on a vehichle, and I was looking at old, original or slightly built up Jeeps that everyone in my family called junk because they weren't pretty and didn't have things like power-steering and power brakes, a heater, or AC. I was looking at the price tag (under $3k) and the fact that there was power steering and braking components sitting in boxes in the bed. The other $3k could have turned that vehichle into one hell of a nice Jeep, by ANY standards. As it was I got an almost like-new '89YJ Sahara. I've spent a ton of money to get rid of the engine problems associated with the Carter BBD before finally replacing it with a Weber. I've still got a rat's nest of wiring to go through, TONS of vacume hoses, an automatic front axle, non-working air, etc... and no "extra" money to deal with it. If it were up to me that old '50s Willy's CJ-5 would be in the driveway with a new kevlar body, a lifted Wrangler suspension, locker's front and rear, and a decent set of tires. The "right price" needs to be looked at as the finished products, not what you see in front of you. Nowadays you can mail-order the parts to make your own Flatfender out of all-new, susper strong equipment for a "reasonable" price if it suits you.

· Registered
725 Posts
If it were me I would have to go Toyota. Even a stock CJ sucks for commuting, I did it for about three years and my ears are still ringing! Dont get me wrong I love my CJ but that doesnt mean I want to drive it every day. 22R's run forever and with Marlin Crawler you can have FWY gears AND a crawl ratio Jeep owners would kill for.

Here is a site you might be interested in: http://www.pirate4x4.com/index2.html

Good Luck,
Rob Wild

83 CJ5 4.2 t176 300 4.56 33s

· Registered
401 Posts
Matter of taste. I drive my 79 CJ5 about 20 miles each way to work every day, mostly highway, and have no problem dealing with it-- though I admit I'm looking forward to getting my Fiat Spider back on the road when the weather gets warmer. Fortunately my wife has a more "modern" car for those long trips, but if I could have only one vehicle, it'd be the Jeep.

-Dana

This is an Uzi. This is an Uzi on full auto. Any questions?

· Registered
3,412 Posts
I would suggest a XJ Wagoneer or Cherokee. They are more comfortable on long commutes than a CJ, can carry more stuff and still are pretty good off road.

They make an excellent 2nd vehicle, too. My 86 was our only vehicle for the first 10 years of its life, the family station wagon,if you will. When we bought the 96 Ford Windstar people mover (the kids got BIGGER), the Jeep became the second car and has done well in that role for the last 5 years./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awww what a bunch of whiners ;-). I used to commute from Champaign, IL to Pittsboro, IN (approx. 100 miles each way) in my '81 CJ-7 with 4" Pro-Comp springs. It wasn't that bad, I'll bet most of those fillings would have come out sooner or later anyway. Seriously though, once you get used to them a CJ's road manners aren't as terrible as people make them out to be. They are perfectly good commuter vehicles.

"My other car is a BULLDOZER"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.