Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I popped off the cover of my 85 CJ Model 30 front axle for the first time since I have owned it yesterday. WOW! Plop, plop in my oil drain pan goes some bolts after gently prying off the cover. As I rotated the ring gear around I noticed three bolts missing. Bummer I am thinking. However as I thought there sitting on the floor fishing bolts pieces out of my drain pan, I am glad I am doing this in my grarge rather than in the mountains of Western Carolinia somewhere. After running around to two different hardware stores and Pep Bouys this afternoon to get replacement bolts, I could not find the exact replacement bolts (where washers used behind these bolt heads from the factory?). Grade 8 I could find, but not with 11/16 head like the orginials, nor the short unthreaded shoulder (which really did not bother me) but neither the right length (3/4 was too short and 1 inch was to long), I even tried building it up with washers, but that got too messy. (1) Can I get away with hardware store bolts with washers for replacement or should I go the Jeep dealer or 4WD Hardware for OEM replacement? (2) The gasket covering that was left on the casting is in real good/great shape. Can I leave it on there and spread a little RTV Blue on the the cover when I put it back on or do I need to put on a whole new gasket? (3) All of the remaining ring gear bolts left where loose. Should I put on RED locktite these bolts and what should I torque these baby's too? Thanks for your help and input.

85 CJ8 Undergoing Frame-up Modifications w/4.0 standing by for transplant w/T176/Dana300 - Lookin for aluminum or chrome 15x8 spoke wheels to fit CJ.

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
I don't have an answer for the bolts, but scrape the old gasket off and just use silicone to seal the cover. I've done that numerous times in the last 10 years and have yet to have one leak. That's the way most people do it since it's not critical that the two surfaces be a certain distance away like a head to block dimension.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.