1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this lil problem here. My clutch releases about 1" from the floor
Getting hard to put into first from a stand still
I also am not encountering resistance till 1/2 travel on the peddle
Meening that the peddle play is 4" till I get the resistance
The clutch is good I figure (rev to 2K drop the clutch in 1st and she chirps)
the throwout bearing is starting to squeel and wondering if that might be adding to the prob.
I have a 84 CJ-7 with the 258
Is that the hydrolic clutch?
Have the rod going through the floor to a piviot bar of some kind.

Is there a adjustment that can be made?
Do you need more info.?
thanks for your time guys

Chu

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
(not a machanic - lol)

Thats not a hydrolic clutch. There is an adjustable linkage under the jeep and a spring which may be your problem. Check to make sure the spring is there and may adjust that linkage a bit.

1997 TJ w/ 33's & 1984 CJ7 w/35's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JW is right, it is probably the clutch linkage... mine is the same and it has been known to loosen itself for no reason. Anyways, there is a long threaded rod with a strange cap nut on it to engage the clutch... the cap nut can be adjusted to tighten the linkage. Check this first, there should also be a second nut on the threaded rod to help keep the cap nut in place. Put a drop of locktite behind this nut to help keep it from loosening again. Good luck!

Sully '84 CJ-7 Laredo 258 w/HEI

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yea and how far should I adjust the clutch
When will I know when to stop

Chu

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Follow where the rod attaching to the pedal goes through the firewall. That rod is attached to linkage which moves the rod your looking for. The rod that you adjust pushes the Fork that holds the throw out bearing.

(i am no machanic)

I have always been told to adjust it so there is only about 1/2 to 1 inch of play at the top of the pedal.

Hope this helps.

1997 TJ w/ 33's & 1984 CJ7 w/35's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.