Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '78 CJ-5 all stock with no power brakes. About three months ago the brake lite in the speedo cluster started to stay on all the time. I checked everywhere and couldn't find a leak or problem, the brakes worked fine, so I assumed the parking brake connection to this lite was screwed up and causing this problem. Well, last nite when I parked it I noticed it was leaking brake fluid from a brake line junction block? that is bolted to the frame on the drivers side. The brake lines all join at this block and then go the the front or rear and it has a 2 wire electrical plug on the top. It was leaking from a brass colored plug on the front that is covered with a rubber cap. Anyone know of any causes and/or fixes for this,and what exactly is this thing called? Any help will be appreciated.

G

·
This thing is called the brake proportioning valve, it is what puts equal pressure on your brakes so that one doesn't grab harder than another.
As far as the leak goes, is it a plug or a line fitting that is leaking??

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is the brass colored plug at the front of the valve that is leaking. This plug has a pin in the middle of it that you can push in about 2-3mm. Is this valve rebuildable, or do you have to but a new one.

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
Not true MarkyMark, the brake warning light gets a signal from both the parking brake and the brake
failure switch. The failure switch reads the differential between front and rear brake pressure at the
proportioning valve.

G

·
Taz - Maybe it's only for power brakes? I had to replace my proportioning value b/c it got rusted out from not being clean thoroughly after a run in with a hole lot of mud, and there was no wire to it or anywhere else on the brake system, and I replaced everything out from the master cyclinder (rusted to h e l l). After checking the failure switch does show up it the wiring diagram, but it wasn't present on my cj.
-Mark

http://80 CJ-7 Laredo 304v8 TF999 3.73's BFG M/T's

G

·
I had an old beater of a '77 cj5 a few years back that when I got it no longer had the wires for the proportioning valve attached. You don't need them for the light to work properly on the dash for the parking brake. Just the same though, if his is still set up, the light will go off if there is a malfunction in the prop. valve.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.