Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like my new project is going to need new brake lines. Anyone done this already? The pre-bent SS lines are $159. Are they worth it? I figure to save prolly $100 and get some straight lines and pretzel them myself..
Anyone??????
Ricky...seeya...

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
After you get done with that one how bout you come down here and do mine for me (I hate brake work). I am planning on copying the speedway catalog setup. The prebent lines would be nice if not for things like rear disc, adjustable proportioning valves and line locks. If I were doing a stock jeep it would be very tempting. I have heard that it is a nice kit.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
That is exactley what I did , there was no way I was forking out the bucks for those pre-bent things . I estimated the lengths by the old lines I took off and went and bought all those pre-made staright ones and a cheapie tubing bender and it turned out really nice . Only issue I found is that the factory lines from the master cylinder were weird size fittings and I had to get adapters for those .I did the same with the fuel lines , a big roll of 3/8 ID and bent away . Fly at er dude !

Jeff

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Yes, you can make you're own... Just beware of the size differences between the fittings. They are NOT all the same..

Once you run new lines, coat them with hammerite to keep rust down.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I got the prebent lines for both my CJ-7 and my wife's Scrambler.
IMHO, the price is a STEAL for the convenience and longevity of the SS lines. Not only are the prebent, the fittings are SS and they also have spiral SS gravel wrap on 'em.
I did my lines in the midst of frame-up rebuilds, and even with the easy access to the frame, I didn't wanna mess with bending my own. I certainly am capable of doing it, and have access to a complete machine shop, but to me, it was well worth it.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I went with the pre bent SS lines from Classic Tube and I loved installing them! The only ones that didn't fit quite right were the two for the front , but I attribute this to the AFW frame not being the "exact" contour of the original as well as the shackle reverse kinda being in the way right at the proportioning valve. It was easily worked around though. I got the SS fuel lines as well, they went on without issue.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Would you post contact information for Classic Tube, please. I did a Google search and got nothing but old radio stuff.

JC Whitney has SS lines also, probably from the same source, so I'm going price shopping.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replys... I will go with the pre-bent ones for simplicity. Time is ALWAYS of the essence..
Ricky...seeya...

G

·
I ended up having to replace the brake lines on my cj. I got straight ones, and they went on pretty easily. I think a big part of it depends on what kind of after market "stuff" you have, and also what your budget is like. I'm sure that if you can afford to spend that much just to avoid the little hassle of bending the lines yourself, then it's probbaly worth it. However, I found the straight ones weren't very difficult, especially considering the money I saved.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
It cost me $ 35.00 CAN for the straight tubing , borrowed the tubing bender . To get those Classic pre-bents here it would have run me well over $ 300.00 CAN . And your right , a Saturday afternoon and your done , with left over $$ to put towards something else

Jeff

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I say bend them yourself. You could probably do it all for $50 in one afternoon, and still have $100 left to buy more parts.
Only issue is whether or not you have or want to purchase the required tools. You'll need a nice double flaring tool at minimum. Tubing benders, although not absolutely necessary, make things a little easier.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Actually he doesnt need the flaring tool , I bought all the straight lines with pre-terminated fittings . They come anywhere from 18 " in one foot increments to 8 ` long . Buy em and bend em . To easy .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.