Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im trying to remove the rear brake drum last night, itll come MOST of the way off but the shoes inside are catching the groove and not letting it come all the way off..

no sweat, I pull the rubber plug in teh back NO STARWHEEL....oh God!

break out the grinder start to grind the retainingg pins flush so I can punch them through, too dark hard to reach back in there so in my final act of the night

3.5 lb sledge SEVERAL good wallops on the drum ( I figured it would just shear/split right off) instead it knocks the corner of the Jeep off of the jackstand and onto my BEER!!!

today after work Ill go after the drum again, I guess I need a bigger hammer!

I didnt realize a brake drum was so strong

any ideas for removal?

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas, need a CJ rear seat

·
Registered
418 Posts
Somebody probabaly installed the starwheel backwards, so it's either behind or in ront of the access hole. Maybe you can reach it with some creative screwdriver bending.

However, the brake drum isn't the hardest..... the hardest known metal is the EZ-Out that breaks off in the hole in the broken bolt; no known drill bit will ever remove it.....

-Dana

If we wish to "restore" respect for the law, a good start would be to pass only laws that people will respect.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Some brake drums have a threaded hole in them that you can thread a bolt into.
As you tighten the bolt it pushes against the axle flange and off pops the drum. But I can't remember if there are any on my CJ's drums or not....anyway, something to look for.

'79 CJ-7

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif I've had to snip the adjuster thread off with my J-100 Victor Gaswrench/boltcutter....messy, but effective. Just my luck it was always the side where the cylinder was leaking all over. Luckily, I am a Rembrant with a torch so it didn't take long./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Well.. i dont want to sound insulting.. but did you check the e-brake? i have done that one.. was really pissed when i found that.. hehe.. if there is a star wheel in there the backing plate should have 2 holes in so no matter what way its in there you should be able to get to it.. might also try to take the wheel studs out.. just pount them in with that BFH.. after that.. try alittle heat..
that doesnt work.. get a bigger hammer.. and keep your beer on the work bench

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the E brake isnt on JeepGod ( I checked already!) this is a bare rolling frame, no engine, tranny, tub, nothing but axles and tires..

Now that Ive got good light Ill just grind the retaining pins off, since I dont yet own a torch CJDave..

I dont even plan on reusing the axle, just was playing with the idea pf rear disks since I have some calipers, rotors and brackets junking up my little pile..
I wanted to see where a caliper would need to be with a Sami Rotor installed on the axle flange..

Ill get it off

BTW the best advice I got via private email:

in a vacant parking lot, loosen lug nuts 1/2 way, drive in figure 8s slowly, Ill bet that would loosen the stubbornest rust frozen drum.

thanks for hearing me vent guys! Ill break that Cj drum if its the LAST thing I do without cast shrapnel in my eye(s)

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas, need a CJ rear seat

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Ozark I've called the beer police. Give up without a fight. There is just no excuse for wasting a good beer. You need to set a better example for people.
For now you are on probation. You will be recieving one of my daughters "sippie" cups in the mail and will be expected to use it for a min. of two weeks. Maybe that'll keep ya from spillin the beer mister./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

I knew everything when I was 16......How come I'm so stupid now?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.