Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that in most of the catalogs accessories of a 76 and up CJ 5 are far more common than those for CJ 5's older than 76. I'm wondering why? Aside from the difference in the frame (and I'm not sure what that difference is), is there any difference in the body tub?

The reason I ask is that I'll be purchasing a new tub for my CJ and I'm wondering if I could put a 76 tub on my frame. That way I would have more access to accessories. Or maybe all the accessories for a 76 would fit my 74 anyway and it really doesn't matter.

Could someone clear this up for me?

Thanks in advance.

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5
If a Jeep can't take you there, Think twice about going..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Carl,
The '76 and up tubs are different from the rear wheelwells forward. They don't have the toolbox and both floorpan areas under the seats and the seat mounting frames are different. The area where the heaterbox goes is different on '78's and up also. You could probably put a '76 up tub on your frame, but some fabrication would have to be done for the body mounts. Also, the gas tank filler area is different, but it wouldn't be hard at all to make that work. One thing that I have noticed is that there are a lot of parts that say they are for '76 and up, but really will fit the '72-'75 CJ's as well. The manufacturers don't bother to research the pre-76 era when they come out with parts for Jeeps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've gotten some real good advice from one particular sales associate at 4wdh (Dave I think). He really knows what products they offer that will fit my Jeep but wasn't too sure about the body tub. If most of the accessories offered will fit a 74 body then I'd just as soon go with that and save the hassle of fabricating some new body mounts. The exterior of the body should look exactly the same right? Just the interior floor pans, seat mounts, filler area that you mentioned is all I can find that are different. Maybe the rear lighting assemblies (which mine are from a 76 or up I believe). Obviously something like a nerf bar for a 76 wouldn't fit due to the frame differences, but I've found them for a 74 frame anyway...

Thanks for the help!

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5

·
Registered
630 Posts
The windshield frame on ' 76 and newer was different. The wiper motor was moved inside the cab, and I think the wiper linkage was changed. It would be pretty expensive to replace yours with newer parts, so watch out what you buy.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The windshield frames are interchangeable, but must use the hinges for that year windshield frame. The bolt pattern on the tub are the same but you must change the entire frame, glass, and wiper system. A lot of people use the 76 and up WS frame on the older CJs. I will as soon as I find one that is complete and reasonable. You must also use the top for that year WS frame due to the change in width at the top (76 and up taper up) and the more layed back angle of the frame (top is shorter, door shape different).

The Grim Jeeper!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My windshield is from a mid 60's model (wow!) and has no wipers. While considering getting new wiper motors, and all the rest of it, I decided that when I do it I'll go for a 76 and up windshield frame, wiper assemblies. My understanding is that this frame should have a built in channel for bikini tops and soft tops. All I have to do is get the correct brackets and it should bolt in.

Problem is that I have to order it new or pay for it to be shipped from a salvage yard. I can't find junked jeeps ANYWHERE within a 150 mile radius of my house. The one place I did find charges as much for used parts as most of the catalogs charge for new parts!!

Guess I'll go with the 74 body and work from there.

Any thoughts on the "JEEP" stamped bodies that Willys Overland is selling? Damn they're expensive, does anyone notice or care whether or not you have Jeep stamped on your jeep? I wonder if the bodies are already cut out? Says their primed and ready for painting..

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.