Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've asked this before, but if anyone has done a wrangler tub conversion on a CJ please give me some advice. I purchased the CJ as is, with a wrangler tub and full doors, but I think the windshield frame is a CJ's. The problem is that I am getting flooded out when it rains, especially when I open the defroster duct. The water is actually dripping down from behind the dash pad and all over driver's side. I need to know if anyone else has had this problem, and what should I be looking for to fix it.

· Registered
1,115 Posts
Make sure that the drain hose is present and isn't clogged...it's on the engine side of the firewall next to the battery tray and hangs down. They somtimes get clogged up with leaves & gunk. Next I'd remove the dash pad so that you can see exactly what's going on and where the water is coming in...you may need a new cowl seal or the windshield frame may not have been positioned correctly when it was mounted.

· Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The drain hose is clear. What kind of labor is involved to remove the dashpad? Can I replace the winshield seal myself? Also, the guy who did the conversion used what some kind of yellow sealent, (not silicone) on the back of the windshield strip. If I do replace it, should any sealent be used?

· Registered
1,115 Posts
Remove the screws on the front of the dash pad, then fold down the windshield frame and remove the screws from the cowl and lift the pad out. The cowl seal is accessible from here as well and is a DIY job, I personally wouldn't mess with the windshield seal, I've had bad luck with breaking windshields doing that. It is typical for them to leak, but your leak sounds excessive.

· Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I screwed-up, I meant the cowl strip (between the body and windshiled frame right?). That is what the guy glued to the body and windshield frame. If I fold down the frame will I be able to replace the cowl stripping?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.