Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've got a '83 CJ-7 that I have determined, needs a frame as well as a new 'glass tub. I've always wanted a Scrambler, and I think I am replacing everything that is different between the two anyways. I am getting a frame from Advanced Frame Works, and a body from 4WD Hardware. The only other things I can think of that is diferent is the rear driveshaft, wiring harness (in the rear), and the top (I need a soft top anyways). Does anyone else think I should do this or am I opening a larger can of worms than I really want? Thanks for your input!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo

G

·
I cannot see the down side . As far as wiring there next to nothing but tail
lights and gas tank.
GO FOR IT

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is diferent about the gas tank? I also have two spare hard tops that I think I can splice in a section of one to the other. A hard top is important up here in Minnesota! I'd have to have custom side glass cut for it but it might be pretty cool. Anyone else out there that have owned both CJ-7's and 8's that could tell me any significant diff's? Thanks!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo

G

·
I think what Gregg was saying is that you would have to lengthen the wire to the gas tank sending unit. Two more body mounts for the CJ8 so you will have to get those. Rear flares are different on an 8 but you can probably use YJ rears.

Good Luck and keep us posted...

Larry 85CJ7,350TBI,T19
http://www.treadlightly.org

G

·
Larrys right .
All I was saying is that the only wiring to be
dealt with is the tail lights and gas gage .

G

·
I've ran both the 7&8 ,and prefer the scrambler 10times over.I put a cj7 soft top on mine with a divider behind the seat.It has the same room inside as the cj7 plus I have enough room to put a tool box,dog,and a cooler in the back.Kinda like the way it was designed but with more seating for kids and such.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
All these guys are right. The differences are minor. I've had a DJ5, CJ5, CJ7, and finally a CJ8. I prefer the Scrambler - no question! Some refer to the CJ8
as a tail dragger, but if set up right, it's not that much of a hinderance. As a matter of fact, it's better than most trucks. As far as parts go, if I ever have a problem
getting stuff, I tell them it's a CJ7, and then theres no problem.
Go for it! Good Luck.

Keep on Jeepin'
Scott

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
The only issue I can think of is the VIN and title. To do this legally, you'd need to get a new VIN & title for the vehicle as an assembled vehicle. You'd probably be okay skirting the law as long as you never try to sell the vehicle or get pulled over by a cop who gets too curious and notices the re-riveted VIN tag.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
You wouldn't happen to have pics and/or some constuction details of this? I'm picking up an '83 sans the top & doors this weekend and was thinking about using a '7' top on it and was wondering about how to approach making & mounting a divider and dealing with the rear corners of the top. TIA

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jeepskate, As far as the legality issue goes...if I were doing nothing but putting a fiberglass tub on my CJ-7, the vin tag would have to be re-rivited. I doubt that everyone that has installed a 'glass tub on their Jeep has applied for a new vin & title. I understand what you are saying though. I am basicly building a new vehicle. I don't think I would have a problem selling it as long as I said it is a CJ-7 (which it is...only with a "longer body") Think of it as putting a longer or shorter box on a pickup truck. This does not change the vehicled identification, only its looks. As far as pic's go, I'm still in the "thinking about it" stage. I was planning on stretching a CJ-7 hard top by cutting it and grafting in a section from another top. I have two extra tops that have been aquired with other deals, so this is virtually no cost. I want it to be a "Full length" hard top to cover the whole interior.
Thanks for your input!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo

·
Registered
534 Posts
Let me tell you about the hassle of doing it the "legal way". I replaced my tub with glass tub last December. The Jeep at the time was registered in Virginia. I didn't even know about the title and vin number saga until a scrap yard came to pick up the old body. The yard wouldn't take the old body without VIN number attached to it. OK! So what a vin number on my glass body? This is when I found out I needed to apply for a VIN number and title. I applied for the number and title after i went to a safety inspection so they could check out all the work. The inspection was done by the dept. of theft prevention. So to make this a little shorter I passed inspection recieved a replacement vin plate which is now attached in the door opening near the dash. My new title states on it that i have a replacement VIN and a replaced body. All of this took about 3 months to complete, just so it would be legal.
Now I am in the process of registering it in FL. And guess what? I went to register it the other day and now THEY want to inspect too. All of this coming from a state were they don't even have any kind of vehicle inspections! After what i have seen on the roads here that kind of makes me mad!
This is what you get for doing it the honest way.

Alec

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.