Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, it poured like a son of a gun in NY today. It gave me time to study my leak(s). The water is actually dripping down across the whole dash, in front of the speakers, the headlight switch, and behind the radio. The cowl rubber looks new, so my question is: can the water be coming through the winsdhield rubber? It is my understanding that there is no sealant used when the windshield is installed, should I use sealant? I'm about to pay lots of $$$$ to fix this, so any suggestions will be appreciated.

G

·
NY-weasel:

OK, take this for what it's worth. I have a minor windshield leak that I haven't gotten around to fixing yet. I have read a lot here and elsewhere on the net. What you are about to get is book learnin', NOT real world experience, but I bet some guys with hard knocks educations will post shortly.

If the cowl rubber is new and good, and if the leak seems to be around the windshield, then you may have a rust problem with the windshield frame. This allows the frame to leak because parts of the internal frame are gone and so do not mate with the rubber gasket. Water then goes around the gasket and ultimately runs down the dash onto the floor. If left to pool, it will rust the floorboards from the inside out.

First thing would be to pull the drain plugs in the floorboards. If you break one don't be too upset. You can get new ones at Eagle (Lowe's to you) or Home Depot. Look around close to the drawer and cabinet hardware.

Second thing would be to call around and get an idea how much you'd be charged to have the glass and gasket pulled and checked. I don't know about NY, but that would not be too expensive here: Hell, they replace the whole windshield free to you here (they do bill your insurance, but they waive the deductible).

Hope this helps.

Bone stock rigs: '81 CJ7, '96 ZJ. Moab every summer!

G

·
The water is most likely coming through the fresh air intake vent, located on top of the cowl. The water leaks down through it, into the vents, and onto your floor. For a fix, sorry, maybe someone else can help.

G

·
I have new cowl rubber and it recommends running a bead of silicone before screwing it down. If not installed correctly a brand new cowl will leak. Have you let your windshield down and looked at where the rubber meets the road or windshield frame in this case. That may be a good place to start.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.