Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just cleaned up my plastic(don't know what the stuff is officially called) gas tank on for my CJ-7, and in the process removed the level guage/filter assembly. I noticed there was some sort of gasket type of material to seal the gigantic plastic nut to the tank. What should I use to reseal this?
Anyone know how to adjust the tank level float thing? It reads about 1/8 tank when it's actually EMPTY...thats caused quite a few unscheduled hiking trips.
Thanks,

Dan 84 CJ-7,Weber,HEI. 95 ZJ,V8. http://netnow.micron.net/~wdohrn/

G

·
Wow, I have the exact same problem. 1/8 of a tank on the gauge, and I'm sucking wind.
As for the gasket, 4WD Hardware has "factory Plastic 20 Gallon Oversized Tank Parts" in their catalog. They list an "O" ring, (part #941521) for '82-'86 CJ. Best news yet? The price is $1.00. A new sender unit is $36.50

Their phone number is 1-800-333-5535

G

·
If you replace the sending unit, make sure that they you have the proper nut for the gas tank. With the plastic tank you will not be
able to use the pl;astic nut that they sent. I had to end up using the original metal nut. The sending unit gasket that came with the unit worked well.

O|||||O
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking. /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Kieth, are you talking about the "Factory" 20 gal. tank? If so, the plastic nut that I got from 4WD Hardware worked fine. The stock unit is also plastic. I'm not sure you are talking about a factory tank if it has a metal nut.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
1999 Dakota 4x4
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gifo[[[[o

·
Registered
778 Posts
I also have the factory "polyurethane"(plastic)tank and got my parts from 4WD. Their replacement plastic nut worked just fine. One thing I haven't been able to track down is a replacement tank strap. Anyone got a handle on one? Or a suitable shade-tree work around?

G

·
I thought I saw a tank strap in the Quadratec catalog.. maybe not though..

ON the subject of gas tanks, I had mine replaced at a 4x4 shop with a stock metal tank. There's 2 wires coming out of the sending unit. One is red, looks like it's mounted on a bolt coming from the sending unit. This red wire is just cut (cause I have no fuel gauge currently). The other wire is gray, has a metal ring terminal connector on the end, looks like a ground.

The wiring harness I installed has a pink wire labeled "fuel sndr" with a push on style connector. Think I could cut that connector and splice it to the red wire and get my fuel gauge working? Or will that push on connector fit on the sending unit? It's hard to see between the tank and the bed, but I don't see a push on style male connector there. Just a ring terminal bolt..

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5
If a Jeep can't take you there, Think twice about going..

G

·
I made a strap out of galanized material that they use to hang duct work with. I then used a piece of inner tube to protect the tank.
It's been on there for a couple years and is still fine.

·
Registered
778 Posts
If it is anything like mine that little push on connector should just pop right on that little bolt sticking up out of the sending unit. Mine did. Snapped right on there good and tight. I "believe" that is the intended way of attachment.

G

·
Dan,

When I bought my 83 CJ7, the guage didn't work niether didi the sending unit on the plastic 21 gal tank. I took the old, rusty float thing off and installed a new generic marine sending unit. I got it at West Marine for ~$30. The instructions tell how to adjust the float and how big of a hole to cut with a hole saw. It came with a guage and works great. The only thing I'd do different is to find one with a guage that is (dampened--I guess), I don't know what to call it but mine bounces back and forth as gas sloshes in the tank. I always like being able to put stainless hardware on the Jeep. In South Florida we need it. Just my 2 cents.

Jeepgator

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.