Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Ca and the biannual smog is coming for my jeep in april. The guy that used to clean pipe it for me has been busted so I guess I have to do it the right way. What I'm working on is a 1980 304 with a edelbrock intake ( no EGR ), 650 Holly, fenderwell headers (no cat), and no smog pump. What I'm looking at doing is putting the exhaust back to stock with a high flow cat and flowmaster. What I'm looking at doing for the asperation is using the edelbrock intake with EGR provision (supposed to be smog legal) and goig with some sort of fuel injection. Here lies my question is the Howell kit Ca smog legal and how does it perform power wise and drivabilty wise. If you guys have any other suggestions for me please help. Or if any of you guys have any old smog equipment that you don't need I could use it. I have none of the old stuuf right now!!

HELP THE SMOG NAZI'S ARE AFTER ME!!!

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif All I can say is YEEK! We just went through this with a '79 CJ 304. We haven't had it smogged yet, but it's now legal and ready. We had to toss the Edlebrock non-EGR, AND the carb. We had to drill out the mainfolds and re-install the air system, and set up all the little vacuum toys that go on the intake. It's a real hassle. As for the FI, it was my understanding that it had a C.A.R.B. clearance and would pass if it was set up good and proper. Boy do YOU ever need to find a "Smog Coyote". We had located one when we first got our Jeep, and we dawdled and didn't get it over there, and SMACK....he got busted. DRAT! Anyway, I do have the setups if you should need them, like what goes where. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I still have all my 80 CJ7 smog equipment. It's off of a 258 I6. If you (or anyone else can use it) let me know. It's not doing me any good packed away in a box in the garage. Maybe we can work out a trade of some sort. I'm always needing something extra for the Jeep.

Chad

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Howel makes a california legal kit. The regular kit isn't legal in CA. Basicly the CA kit costs more and the only difference is that it uses a two wire oxygen sensor(second wire is a heating element I belive) instead of the single wire unit. I feel so sorry for you guys in CA. My 304 runs headers with dual cats, air system removed, charcoal canister removed, egr intake and crb. I pass the pipe test and the only problems I'v had is from the k&n open filter and the lack of a heat riser(both very easy fixs at test time)

Al
My web page

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the offer of the smog stuff, but the stuff for the 258 won't work with the 304. I'm starting to consider just selling the whole shooting match. I'm getting older and have 2 boys now. No matter how hard I try I can't squeeze my family and all the camping gear into the 7. I'm starting to look at the Cherokee's and they look pretty promising. The trouble will be in selling the 7. I have sooo much time and money in it. SOA with 2 1/2" springs, detroit rear, one piece axels, limited slip front, 33" cepek's MT, CV joint rear shaft... The more I think about it the more I don't have to start over. What do you think it would take to stretch the 7 about 12-15 inches? :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know cali is much more stringent than Ohio, but do you have any kind of waiver for making improvements. If we make a 30% improvement in exhaust gases then they will waiver us. Just unplug a spark plug on first try and fail miserably then plug back in and wala!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I would pay to have this thing registered in Ohio right now. The only option I have is to non op it. This will just buy me time and I can't drive it on the road.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey, if you'e looking to just get rid of it, I can be in california in two days or so :) Just make sure that when you fill out the card that states the vehicle is non-operationsl that the excuse is a good one and well detailed. I had an engine fire last summer, so when it came time for smog testing this year I obviously couldn't take it in. I filled out the card and wrote "Vehicle is inoperable due to the engine having caught on fire" or something like that. They didn't accept hte excuse and suspended my license!! Talk about BS hassle eh? I wish one of them would just come out to my house and TRY to get some fumes out of my jeep. I'd love to see 'em try.

MudFlap 87 YJ POS!!

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Our CJ7 was from Connecticutt, and had been totally de-smogged and set up as a hot rod. Imagine the shock when the owner transplanted to the San Francisco Bay Area of CA and tried to smog the Jeep. The cost was more than he could afford, so it went into storage under some boxes in the garage for more than four years. Finally, they needed to move to another house and he advertised the Jeep for sale. Buyer after buyer was put off by the complexities of the re-smog, AND the potential cost. We took a chance that we could still get the stuff, and thanks to this BBS, we did finally were able to find everything. We are out-of-pocket less than $500 so far, but we did trade a brand-new Edelbrock intake and Holley so that was another $$$$ lost. What I would do is MAKE A PROJECT OUT OF THAT JEEP. STRETCH it, MODIFY it, and before you know it, it will have dropped off the smog list in CA (25 yrs). During the "down time" you can methodically go about gathering up all the smog system items. KEEP the intake in storage and find a stocker just for the test if you need to. And you know, the realities are that very little, if any, of the smog stuff retards performance. It's the internals that do, like the cam and pistons./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dave, do you have the smog diagrams for a 76 CJ-7 with a 304? I have to go through smog in NJ, just like CA.
CJ-Rick

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Yeah, I have the drawings. I have had several requests for them in the last few days, so I will attempt to scan them in and maybe that way they can be e-mailed. I'm not all the good with this super computer yet; I'm a fifties kind of guy./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gifAnyway, send me your exact e-mail at my box [email protected] I can get them to you some way I'm sure./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif So yesterday I was working in the shop putting all the smog "stuff" on the 304 intake manifold, and on Saturday when Jeepchick is home we will swing that heavy sucker onto the engine. It occurred to me that it was far easier to set up a complete intake with EVERYTHING on it, including carb and air cleaner and JUST SWAP THAT OUT than it is to methodically establish every smog system, the EGR, the AIS, the XYZ, and the ABC on an existing intake system which doesn't have an EGR to begin with. WHY NOT put up a complete stock intake and when you have it all set up, SWAP IT OUT.....and set your hot rod setup aside. After smogging, swap it back. Heck, there's only twelve bolts, and that way, your smog setup stays new just sitting in a box on the shelf. The air injection system is another matter, but there isn't really a significant loss of performance if it isn't actually blowing air. AND....if you used a good grade of anti-siexe, it would be easy to dismount the air injection pipes and insert 7/16" N.F. bolt (or is it 1/2"...it is a std bolt anyway.), and store the pipes as well. Actually, the exhaust manifolds on a 304 are adequate for all but extreme RPM./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Just an idea. You HAVE some time, get hot on the net and locate some smog stuff. I have the NAPA part numbers to the little CTOs and the EGR, and the NBC, and the CBS./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Has anyone considered having a second engine, that is already smog legal, for transplant before the smog test? I know that the idea has some cost to it but wouldn't it be considerably faster than to add/strip smog equipment on a 304 before/after the test?

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif The Volkswagen community has that arrangement. There is a guy in this area who has a shop with every year VW engine just sitting there in all of it's smoggable glory, just waiting for the "Super Bug" guy to come by and rent the engine he needs. Of course there is a heck of a lot of difference between four bolts and two cables and jerking the 304 out of a Jeep, plus the storage of the complete engine. On Jeeps, the smog stuff is basically all piled on the intake, so it seems to me that twelve easy-to-get-to bolts would not be all that tough./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dave, I know you must be anxious to 'drop-off' the biennial smog inspection program. And you are probably hoping for only a couple more smog checks, and be done with them, in 2004. I know I am 'nitpicking', but I believe the rule is 30, and not 25. I believe you will have to wait until 2009. As we 'sit' right now, we are 'holding' at '73-and-older are exempt'. 74-and-up are smogged, through 2003. In 2004, 74 is exempt, and, I believe, It advances yearly, after that.
My situation is 4 years 'worse' than yours, and I'm p----d about it, too.

bob

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif Yuk, Barf, Poo./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif I remembered that the 73's were exempt in the Fall of 1998, but I thought they were advancing the years as time went on. DRAT! Well, now I don't feel quite so bad about spending a CRAPLOAD of dough on restoring the smog systems to our smogless Connecticutt Hot Rod CJ7. welcome to Caliphony....just give up all the money you have and all you can borrow. SHEESH! I'm a fourth generation native Californian and every year it costs more to stay here./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif Like someone said: "You have to s--- money to live in this state./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did the 'engine-switch' for a couple of smog checks. It got me by for almost 6 years. When I got to the 3rd smog check, I decided I was tired, and I didn't do the switch. So, I paid the $10 'non-op', and my license has been on hold for a couple of years. My 'switch' involves pulling a Chevy engine and trans, and re-installing a 258 and T-5 (which I have carefully squirrelled away). I keep thinking I will make the Chevy legal, by installing all of the approved (newer) system. So far, I've just procrastinated. I've had it in my head that I want to keep the quadrajet, and I need a FI (TBI) system to make it legal. The situation sort-of annoys me, because my original CJ chassis never had a computer controlled carb, and the Ca ARB and referee have told me that if I install the AMC 360 engine, then it is still legal to continue running the carb. But, since it is a Chevy engine, and because my year had a TBI system when the Chevy was installed in its original chassis, then I must use the TBI system in the Jeep. So... I just keep dragging my feet.
Another 'annoyance'... And, for this one, I have to be annoyed at myself. The referee tells me that if I had stepped forward when I first installed the Chevy, about 8-or-10 years ago, then I'd be all set. Apparently it was legal for me to install the Chevy, with the smog stuff that is on it, back when I first did it. Then, the rule apparently changed, and now, I can not get the referee's 'smog-sticker'. :(

bob

·
Registered
856 Posts
CJ Dave
Do you know anywhere or the Mfg. for the diverter valve the one I pulled out of the junk yard was shot causung backfireing ,(which I believe contributed to the early demise of my engine)I tried it every which way same results =BACKFIRE.I tried several sources that lead to dead ends.all the other smog junk came off an AMC concord with a 258 in a junk yard,including brackets for about $100.00 it included a starter and aircleaner housing.
I had to chase the threads in in the manifold with a 1/4-18 NPT tap to get the fittings for the A I Manifold on.
[note]According to the 1980 TSM the air pump is the same for sixes and eights just the diverter valve has two outlets instead of one for sixes.

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Hmmmm....there isn't a MFG mark on this one we have for the CJ7304....I just hope that it works...it's kind of old. If I had to, I suppose I could adapt something, even perhaps a GM pump with the valve right on it. So far we haven't been able to run this Jeep to see if ours backfires as well./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The valve may have been made by Ford. Test it by blowing through the 5/8 nipples: with no vacuum or vacuum less than 22"-25" applied to the 3/16" nipple = valve open; more than 22" or so vacuum = valve closed; nipple won't hold vacuum, the valve is bad; won't close under high vacuum, the valve is bad. They were still avaliable at the dealer, the last time I checked, for around $100!(ask for '81-'83 models). They all work on the same principle though, so they could be matched up with the help of a good counterman. Hope this helps, good luck!
P.S. A leaking exhaust system can cause backfiring also, as the fresh O2 reacts with the rich decel mixture in the headpipe/manifold/muffler.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.