Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna put a full roll cage in my 79 CJ-7. It presently has the roll bar style that connects to the tub floor on one side and the fender wells in the rear. I was considering buying the Kentrol front sport bar tie in section from 4wd hardware. Has anyone tried this tie in kit, or any other tie in kits on a cj 7 roll bar. Please let me know how these kits were to install, and also if anyone has any experience with their strength please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Jesse

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I installed a front hoop kit from Smitty Built. The kit is inexpensive and come with the front hoop and 2 stringers, and mount plates for the bottom of the hoop. I purchased 2 additional stringers (for $10 each..). I think I paid less then $100 for the hoop kit and additional stringers.

At the time I didn't weld or have a welder, and most of my expense was incurred by having someone else install the kit. If you do this, save yourself some money and you do all the fitting work, like setting the location of the front hoop and stringers, cutting the stringers to length (fishmouthed to fit the hoop and rear bar correctly), etc... This way you strictly pay for the welders time welding, not doing prep work.

Recently a friend flopped his CJ7 on its side, which racked his front hoop pretty good. It was a very slow tip over... This was pretty eye opening, and one thing to consider when doing this install is a diagonal brace from one corner of the front hoop to the opposite rear corner of the original roll bar (ideal) or alternatively gussets at all mount points of the stringers (or both). The diagonal will add lots of structural rigidity in a side roll over.

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
My jeep page

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Jim is right! Diagonal braces are the best. This is how we drag racers have been doing it forever because it provides the most rigid cage in the event of a roll-over. Now I know that a drag car needs to be protected from violent crashes at speeds in the hundreds of miles per hour, but a slow roll still needs a cage structure that wont fold up under the pressure. The cage I plan on putting in my CJ (full custom cage) will have race car style diagonal braces, not only across the roof area, but also a diagonal brace that goes from about half way up the main hoop (behind front seats) down to where the front hoop goes through the floor by your feet. It will be a little harder getting in and out, but it makes for a much safer cage. Isn't safety the whole reason for installing it anyways? Just my opinion.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
1999 Dakota 4x4
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gifo[[[[o

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
although not happy about it, i have experience in the rollover situation. have done one tip-over onto the top of the cage and have jumped the front-end of a mid-sized 4-door sedan. the cage that i had built and have built again is the factory rear bar like you have, plus the front hoop tie-in, PLUS the frame tie-in kit for all six points that the bar contacts the body. i jumped the front of this car and rolled 4-5 times @ 40 MPH on asphalt and came out with a slightly bent bar and broken w/s frame, glass, etc. this was a violent action and might not be here without the frame tie-in kit. you can gussett and diagonal brace and it will help, but not if your mounts fail at the body. i often wondered how the bar works and whether my welder did a good job, i think that has been answered. BUILD IT RIGHT. good luck, steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point. This is often over looked and I should have mentioned it. Tieing the cage into the frame or bracing the tub so that the mounts won't fail is important and should go without saying...

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
My jeep page

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.