Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kids have been riding in the back seat of my CJ-7 since they were newborns, but now being 12 and 9, the seat is a little small, and the low back of the stock bench seat just isn't very safe. I'd like to know what others have done to improve the seating in the back of their CJ-7, replaced it with what or how have you modified it.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I haven't raised the back but I decided to raise the entire seat to give a little more leg room. I used recycled plastic wood to raise the seat. You could use treated wood but the plastic wood will never breakdown.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check out Northern tool's online catalog. They have grey vinyl high back seats on clearance for 25 dollars. It wouldn't be hard to rig up some kind os safe bracketing. They look like pretty nice seats.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Go to a Junkyard and get the rear seats from a Plymouth Laser...they are two small connected folding seats that you can mount on a speaker type box...look cool too.

I'm not afraid of dying...I'm scared of not living

chevy-Cj-7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you can find an old Subaru Brat they had some pretty cool seats in the bed. They are mounted on a tubular framework that bolts into the bed. I've seen one CJ with these mounted in the rear. Each passenger even gets their own pair of "Oh Sh!t" handles.

"My other car is a BULLDOZER"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking about the same thing....my kids are 8 and 10. I've seen the seats in the Brat and from what I recall they are plastic, no cushion. I don't think my kids would like that.

I guess two small bucket seats would be the ideal setup....I wish my father kept his FIAT 600, I could have used those seats.

Maybe a set of front seats from a Ford Festiva would work. Also, the VW mags have racing seats in them and they probably come in different sizes.

I'll keep you posted if I find anything. Keep us posted if you come up with a good idea.

Thanks.

John C.

[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, I probably can find a seat in Northern Tools. Thanks for the info.

How wide is the back of a CJ7? I'm at work so I can't check my CJ, but I'm trying to figure out what seats I can get for the back.

Anyone have an idea how much room there is between fenderwell's in the back or does anyone know how wide a stock rear seat is?

Thanks for the help.

John C.

[email protected]

·
Registered
168 Posts
My brother built a tubular rack for the back of his CJ7. He mounted two fiberglass bucket seats (dune buggy?) with covers
and used a 3 pt. harnesses. It sat higher than stock so his kids could see out the windows. I'm not certain, but I think he
kept it when he sold his CJ7 and bought a TJ. I'll see if he wants to sell it.

BHT

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif A CJ is 36" between the wheel houses......maybe a scooch under a full 36"....like 35-15/16"/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Oops! Here comes the boss! Better get off the internet and back to work....Uh Oh...too late...."Uh, nothing Sir..I'm just checking the numbers for last quarter....Er, ah....no, I don't have them yet......well, it's just the Jeep internet.....fired?....you mean me?"/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks CJDave. Sorry you got fired. I hear the White House is hiring.....

I checked Corbeau seats and they have a lo-back seat but it's 18.5 inches wide each seat, so I doubt it'll fit. Also expensive: $172 (but check out the girl in the pics....badaboom....

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Dunno what the pricing is like, but Beard makes a rear seat that fits that I've seen in a few CJ-7's in magazines. The back is higher and it has two protrusions that come up behind the head area if I recall correctly. Hera's an attempt at ASCII art:

__/\__/\__

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Jeepskate, welcome back. Where have you been? I guess you hang out with the Big (long) Boys now..... How's it going?

I'm gonna see if Beard has a website. Thanks for the info.

John C.

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I'm still around, mostly lurking. Since I'm a net admin/IS supervisor, the end of the year and Y2K have sucked up a lot of my time and keep me hopping...plus we're in the middle of a BIG sales campaign and they're trying to get fancy with sign-up via the internet and such and they have NO idea what they're doing /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
Beards' web site is pretty useless...been under construction for months.

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
I think I'd be getting a family style rollbar in the CJ to protect the kids if you haven't already, then you
could hang head restraints from a spreader across the rear of the rollbar. If the head restraints were
then made to swing up when not in use, you could still have unobstructed vision out of the rear view
mirror on the highway. Just an idea.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.