Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 57 CJ-5 has the gas tank user the driver's seat. There must be a hole somewhere that I havn't found because the inside reeks of gasoline. There isn't any liquid gas leaking,which makes me thinks it may be on the top of the tank. Is there some kind of sealer (like Bars Leak for radiators), but fo gas tanks, or do I have to get a new one. Otherwise the tank is in real nice shape, no rust or dents. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
109 Posts
See Jp magazine Sept '99, pg 74 article called Tank Tech, using fuel tank sealer from POR 15 (Restomotive, 800-457-6715, or website at por15(dot)com). I've never used this stuff, can't attest to quality or ease of use.
I'd also consider cutting out the K member from the frame and installing a rear tank, ala '70-'71 CJ5.
HTH

Lynn
'71/'48/'97

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a 70 CJ5 with the tank under the seat and gas fumes. It turned out the tank was fine. The rubber hoses that connect the tank to
the frame mounted steel lines had rotted. I replaced them and no more fumes.

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My YJ started stinking like gas recently and I found out that I had a faulty gas cap. I replaced it and no more gas stink.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.