Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a cj-7 frame today in excellent condition. I had been going to build a new frame for my cj-5, but was contimplating putting my tub on this cj-7 frame. My question is, can you put a cj-5 tub on a cj-7 frame, so that your wheels would be 5" farther front, and 5" farther rear? It would make for great approach and departure angles. I'm not afraid of modifying the frame to work. Also has anyone ever done this before? Thanks.....

Shannon
'78 CJ-5

·
Registered
521 Posts
anything is possible... I'll say that first.
to do it the way you describe, you will need to move the rear wheel wells in the body tub back 5" and might want to do something to the front so the wheels are not 5" too far away from the fenders.
wouldn't actually improve approach or departure angles as CJ spring shackle hangers are already at the furthest part of their respective frame ends.

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
You would also need to move the grill forward 5" or move the motor mounts and skid plate back 5".

·
Registered
328 Posts
Why do you think the approach and departure angle will change.... The angles are from the tires to the bumper and or shackles. With no body on the jeep does the angle change? – NO – Now if you had coil springs front and rear and chopped off the extra frame.... BINGO.... The CJ5 on the CJ7 would sure look cool..

78 CJ7 304V8 Fully locked. Got Rocks?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First of all you can't move the front wheels forward. The front end on a CJ5 and CJ7 are identical. Same thing goes for the rear. The difference in length is between the wheels when comparing a '5 and a '7. It's not how far the wheels are from the ends. Think about it a little harder and you will realize that the frame is what dictates where the wheels are, not the body. Putting a CJ5 body on a '7 frame doesn't change where the wheels were originally on the '7 frame. They are already as far forward for the front, and back for the rear as they will go. You would have to cut out the rear of the '5 body to fit over the wheels and tires.

'75 CJ5 with goodies

1 - 5 of 5 Posts