Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any suggestions? I have a 81 cj-5 with the good old 151 in it, that has a cracked block. I just want to get this thing running to buzz around the deer lease. Anybody know where to get CHEAP running 151, or what other CHEAP engines will bolt up to the 4 speed tranny?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
a buddy of mine is getting ready to swap his out soon ill ask him what he wants to do with it.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
The GM151 was used in lots of different vehicles, the Pontiac Fiero for example. It was also used in some boats. The good thing is it has the same bolt pattern as a small block chevy, and the 4.3L V-6 Chevy as well. The bad news is they usually hooked this up to the SR-4, which is the 2nd worst tranny ever to come in a jeep, and not even up to the power of the 151, so it won't handle the extra power of a larger engine well. I only mention them because the 4.3L is usually foun dvery cheap up here, like $200, and it'd directly bolt in. The GM151 is a great little motor, it's the only thing I kept stock from the Scrambler buildup, but I'll eventually go to a 350 for what I do with the jeep.

What state are you located in? Your profile doesn't mention it.

Oh yeah, I also have one up here, pretty cheap.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I'm in Texas, so that might be a bit of trip, thanks alot for the info....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.