Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CJ-2A, with the event of scram\'s new Willy\'s

So here she is. The toy. I drove her again today. She ain't the pertiest Jeep, but she's a Jeep and a whole lot of fun.

It's a great feeling to ride around in the vehicles that are the long time roots of the descendants we drive. It might be why I don't make double-takes for the souped up imports of today. I'm about heritage of raw American steel working as we have made it work. In the case of the street rods, it's great to see a chopped '37 Chevy without a hood, and oozing 409 headers down the sides of the rocker panels, with a blower with flippers feeding air into the monster that sits growling in the cradle.

With a 4wd, nothing tops a CJ-2A speedily taking angles and bumps of wicked terrain, and jauntily bouncing all the way, lacking only the thought that something might break underneath the tub where the driver sits perched winding the wheel back and forth.

Yes, scram, enjoy that pure spirit that the Willys were built for. For us wheelers, there is not much a finer feeling.

If I didn't have a Jeep, I wouldn't have a life.

'88 MJ SporTruck
Rebuilt 2.5L: 40 over rings, 10 on crank, 10 on bearings
nearing 400K

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Re: CJ-2A, with the event of scram\'s new Willy\'s

Towards the end of WWll, Willys originally never intended for the Jeep to be released as a general population civilian vehicle. They were going to market it to farmers as a multi-purpose field vehicle. (They never foresaw the recreational market potential of the Jeep, which is where the line actually best shines.) They wanted to use all that wartime profit to market a new line of sedans and coupes. Trouble was, they didn't have the facilities to make complex car bodies. The Jeep looks like it does because the body shop where the panels were made was a modified washing machine plant. None of Willys suppliers of body parts pre war were willing to furnish them with parts post war because there was an extremely high demand for cars after the war and those suppliers were over loaded with orders from the large manufacturers (Ford, Chrysler, GM, etc).

So, in essence, Willys was stuck. They could produce Jeeps, but little else from their washing machine plant. So, they went ahead and designed a line of Jeeps and Jeep like vehicles that the washing machine plant could produce. Their chief design person was a man named Brooke Stevens...he is the man responsible for the Jeep "look" from that day to this. He used the Jeep, the CJ2A in this case, as a basis for a pick up, panel delivery, a wagon and a phaeton touring car (which we now know as the original Jeepster). All Jeep models from then till now take their styling cues from vehicles that were made in a washing machine plant. (I suppose that the newest designs, the Grand Cherokee and the new Jeepster are getting away from that but progress is progress).

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What is beautiful about Jeeps is that they were built, style wise at least, out of necessity. Sometimes even ugly things can be beautiful, if you look at them in the right light. How many other vehicle models can you think of that have an origin like that? /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Re: CJ-2A, with the event of scram\'s new Willy\'s

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! scram

It's All Out or Nothing At All!!!!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.