Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know where i can get an older cj frame hopefully new and cj2a,cj3a or a cj3b.
Yes i have seen the ones in quadratec but I would rather not pay ~1600
I would also like some recomendations for this rockcrawling rig. v-8 or v-6 4500 or T-18atlas or dana 300 dana 60's or 44's SOA or 1/4ele.
Yeah yeah I know which is perfect but to i need to consider cost as well as it is a cj2anot alot a room for a v8or maybe atlas etc. anyway i need some help.
thxguys

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
any ideas what tires you want to run? what trails? how extreme do you want to go and how hard are you on parts? these are the main things to consider when chosing your parts.

My sugestions for a budget minded general rock rig are:

V-6 due to space, either a 4.3 chevy or 3.8 buick fuel injection is always nice
truck 4-speed due to cost, if its a trail rig why pay extra for overdrive?
Dana 300 or atlas, a stock D-300 works well but 4:1 tend to overstress them
Axles, in MOST cases a D-44 will work up front in a light rig
a dana 60 rear is nice if it fits in the budget
Suspension, this depends on how much you like to tinker with your rig
a SOA with custom springs will allow more then adiquit flex
Tires, I'm parcial to 36x12.50 TSL SX's or 35" boggers

Jeff
'83 Toyota long bed
5" lift, YJ front springs

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After seeing a willys wheel in our club a few times I would recomend a V6 due too length with a SM 465, T18, or NP 435 tranny backup with a Dana 300 or Dana 20 (b/c of length)t-case. For axles I would use a Dana 44 rear and either a Dana 30 or Dana 44 front because of how light the willys are and they don't take up as much room as a Dana 60. I would then do a spring over lift with the wider wrangler springs, but it could be tough b/c of how short the willys are. Then I would run either 33x12.5 or 35x12.5 tires because of how short and narrow the willys are.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
WALSTIB/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I run a CJ2a in the rocks. It eats up the 'Hammers. My Jeep is set up with a 302 Ford, T-18 transmission, Dana 300 Transfer case, Dana 44 front with Detroit and 4.56:1 gears and a Dana 60 rear with Detroit. I'm running 35" BFG Mud Terrains. My front springs are YJ's which are spring over. The rears are spring over Rancho CJ2 springs. As for the light weight of the Willys everyone is talking about, with these conversions the Willys weighs in just about the same as a TJ.
Rob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am doing tha same project. I asked the "frame" question a couple of weeks ago. I am going to lengthen my frame and body by about 6 inches. Them I can get things to fit a little better. I was thinking of going with a 305 or 350 with D44's front and rear, srung over with wrangler springs. I am not sure about tranny or t-case yet. I am still in the tear down stage of my project but I am not in a big hurry to get it done. I want to do it right the first time. I have been doing alot of research and asking alot of questions and I think this set up will be best for me.

Cut to shape, hammer to fit, paint to match /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif
Project '51 willy's total rebuild /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One thing to remember, a stock flat fender frame is a relatively thin wall open "C" channel. This is great for articulation, but it doesn't
have the strength to handle a V8 long term. I used to have a 70 CJ5, a little stronger frame, a 225 V6, SM420, Dana18, and 4.88 gears.
I cracked the frame in half 6 times. This was not do to rust, as it was a southern California Jeep. IMO, if you use a stock frame and a V8
you should box it.

Gary

·
Registered
173 Posts
I recall someone saying that some Postal Jeeps have boxed frames. I don't know if the wheelbase would match up, but I'm sure
you could find one cheaper than $1600!

BHT

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I forgot to mention that I was going to box the frame as well. Thanks for reminding me.

Cut to shape, hammer to fit, paint to match /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif
Project '51 willy's total rebuild /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts