Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a set of 4 15x8 (might consider 15x7)chrome wagon wheels for my 1985 CJ. If I can can not find a used set in good shape, what manufacturer makes the best chrome wagon for our Jeeps? American Racing, Rock Crawler, Cragar, etc? or are they all pretty much the same and I should just shop for the cheapest price? Thanks for the input, DuaneD in West Lafayette, IN

G

·
Wal-Mart super centers now carry wheels and have the wagon wheels 15X8 for $40.00. Not sure about any of the others.

G

·
Nooooooo!! I bought a set of them and regret it.... Pitting. Chrome pits. I've done my very best to keep at them, but I can't keep up. I wish I'd just saved and bought some that won't rust. Now maybe a climate where they don't wash the roads with salt in the winter time won't be nearly as hard on a set, but mine are wearing quickly. I think I payed about $45 each at the tire store.

G

·
Check out Summit Racing's catalog. They have 5 kinds on economically priced chrome spoke wheels in 15x8, cheapest is $40.95 each (others are $43.95, $48.95, $47.95, and $48.95). AND THEY HAVE FREE SHIPPING!!! These are all US Wheel items, They also have an American Racing Chrome 15x8 for $80.50. I am looking at their paper catalog, but they are online at www.summitracing.com.
As far as a used set, keep in mind that the Jeep Chrome wheels have some kind of a plastic finish over them & makes them hard to clean up apparantly, I have a set of four I am hoping to clean up, but if it doesn't work I will probably get an economical set from Summit.

'78 CJ7 304, rust, inspected!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·
i also have the factory chrome wagon wheels, the clear coat comes right off with paint stripper, it doesn't harm the chrome and the wheels look brand new under it. get the paint stripper from a hardware store ( the gel ) and follow the directions. i used a scrub brush to remove the stripper and it worked great. good luck

G

·
I know I'm not much help here but .Use to do the same thing on motorcycle
engine side cases. After you repolish them there was a clear spray on
stuff you could paint back on to keep the case looking like new.
That probbly what one should do to your jeep wheels or maybe they just
rust like all the other cheap wheels
MAYBE it is a thought for those other chome wheels to??????????????/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I have a set of American Racing AR 766 (the chrome version of the typical black 767) and I've run them for about 2 seasons now with no pitting, and no rust. I don't run them in the winter, though, just leave them stacked up in the garage with wd40 on 'em.

They are a nice wheel. I think I paid $60 each, 8" wide in a weird YJ backspace of 4.75".

Good luck
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMT,9kwinch,homemade swingout,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI,one moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
854 Posts
If you find three other factory ones, I sell you the rim on my spare tire. I have since changed rims and would like to replace my spare with a match for the other 4 rims.

G

·
I live in Louisville, where they salt the roads, and my chrome wheels rust in about two days. They look great when you clean them up, but you have to stay on them. Save up and buy aluminum,, they're lighter, about as strong, and much easier to keep clean.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Last year I picked up a set of alum. whees for my 83 CJ7 for $40. They came off a GM Blazer. After I purchased the set I started to look around and found them on lots of CJ's. From what I've seen these wheels are very common. Let me know if you want me to post a picture of them...

Good Jeepin'

Larry

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Chrome Wagon Wheels for a 85 CJ

Thanks guys I really appreciate your input and ideas. I completely forgot about Summitt Racing. I just never think about wheels being associated with Summitt. We don't have a SuperWalMart here yet, or I would go check them out. The work to keep the chrome wheels looking new is a pain, as they wash the roads here in north-west-central IN with salt too in the winter. Mr. Larry, who would have thunk-it but you. Would you mind sharing a picture of your Blazer wheels you use on your CJ? What year range, Larry of GM/GMC Blazer/Jimmie or is it Johnnie hehe (S-10/15 version right?) would work for us to mount non-rusting wheels (a.k.a. low maintenance)? Thannks so very much, DuaneD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.