Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the choke needs an adjustment on my Carter BBD 2bbl carb. This carb is on a 258 I-6 1979 CJ7. I know that i need to loosen the choke cover and turn it. I need to know in what direction to turn the cover for rich or lean adjustments. Thanks:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am pretty sure that when looking at the choke (looking from the front grille) that as you rotate the notch towards you the spring will be tightening, which happens to be richer. So for lean rotate it towards the firewall. This site probably doesn't help, but it is there if you need it http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/258bbd/Choke.htm. The hard part is getting those screws off, but maybe on the 79 it's easier.
chase

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you turn the cover the same direction as the choke plate opens it is leaner (lighter choke spring pressure) turn other way it set choke tighter
(richer-opens later) Mine is set where it just closes the plate when cold.Also dont over look a working choke pull off,there can be a fine line
between to open and to closed,also fast idle plays in on pulloff settings.The higher the fast idle,the more open the pull off needs to be.
choke-pull off-fast idle,all are co dependant,get one off and you stall or get black soot spots on the ground.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.