Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I won the spicy category, but not best of show. Of well, at least I was first in something. I would like to thank Doug '97 TJ and naekid for their recommendations. I'd also like to thank TeamRush for those wonderful words of insight that kept me going /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif.

Like jeeps, I used recommendatons and opinions to create my own "masterpiece". Actually I got back from a meeting after midnight and had to throw something together, and quick. Listed below are the ingredients used to make the chili, although I can't remember how much I added (hey, this looks about right), so they're in no particular order.

....75% lean hamburger, fresh, didn't drain the fat, 2 lbs (FLAVOR, right Doug?)
....Tomatoes, fresh, canned, and crushed (hey, I didn't buy enough, OK)
....Kidney beans (1 can, didn't drain)
Here's where it gets a little fuzzy. Not sure of the exact mixture of each.
....parsley
....celery flakes
....whole bunch of fresh garlic, chopped & mashed
....1.25 lb onion (no, not 1.25 lbs of onion, one WHOLE onion, chopped)
....paprika
....Tobasco sauce
....Purgatory Hot sauce (this stuff will peel paint)
....Bone Suckin' Sauce, thick and hot style (this stuff is AWESOME)
....black pepper
....salt
....vinegar
....homemade BBQ sauce (it was left over and just sitting in the fridge)
....Meduim salsa (hey, I got a chance to clean out the fridge and it wasn't fuzzy, OK)
....seasoned salt
....Italian seasoning

I cooked it over the stove (sorry, fireplace doesn't have a spit and I didn't want to tend it all night, been up for 20 hours already) from about 1AM until I left at 8AM, it had cooked down to 1/2 it's size and even looked like chili. I was going to add some lobster for the toxic waste, but decided a dead judge probably wasn't going to do me any favors.

Anyway, what'd I win? I got all the fixin's for, get this, CHILI. Well, I also got some cooking utensils, so all are welcome over for a bowl of homemade chili, any takers? You know it actually tasted pretty good. I didn't taste it until after the judging, didn't want to be disappointed, might not enter it then.

So thanks to all, and if I'm still around tonight I'll consider it a complete success, I just don't know if the wife will do the same /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205/7" Lift/33" Swampers/D44's F&R 4.10's & Lockrights

G

·
You did good!!
The not quite "fuzzy" salsa? Fuzzy is ok as long as you can still tell what it was before it got fuzzy and if you use enough peppers. /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif
Tobasco sauce: If you can taste the tobasco sauce, you don't have enough REAL pepper in it.
Parsley and celery flakes: Goes against the "nothing green colored" rule.
The two hot sauces - haperano peppers???? If so, they should be pretty good.

If you want a real experience, eat a whole haberano raw. It is so hot and hurts so bad that your body produces endorphins in such quantity that you actually get a strong "endorphin rush." The pain in your mouth subsides some, but the rest of your body completely disappears. You cannot feel a thing in your back, hands, hands, arms, legs, feet - anywhere. Lasts for several minutes.

Congrats on the win.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
My Web Site

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
I don't want to give away all of the secrets, but...
Dave's Insanity Sauce.... S&M for your tongue!
http://www.davesgourmet.com/

If a tree falls in the forrest, and there is no woman around to hear it, is the man still wrong?

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, I forgot the crushed red peppers. I added the green to be a rebel, what can I say. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif The two hot sauces: one was jalapeno (sp?) based and the other was habanero based, you're right. That and they were in the fridge...

I know what you mean about the fuzziness, I thought the strawberries were salsa until I asked the wife, but hey, red is red, right? /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

Real habaneros? Are you sick? I'm from Maine, KETCHUP is hot to me. But seriously, I like hot sauces, but not too hot, TeamRush, thanks for the link, cool site. My older brother, he got me started on hot sauces (from the Army days), said when he was at Ft Bragg there was a guy that used to drown his food in Tobasco. Said the hotter the better and kept bragging it up. So the cook comes out and hands him a bottle of Habanero seeds in oil, he puts some on his food and eats it. Apparently, and I don't know the validity of this story as it's from my brother and not first hand, the guy was trying to act macho like it wasn't hot. He was acting right up until he burst a blood vessel in his eye. Guess it was hot.

Thanks for all the help, guys, couldn't have done it without you.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205/7" Lift/33" Swampers/D44's F&R 4.10's & Lockrights

G

·
True story:

One of my buddy's was growing veggies hydroponically and he grew some habaneros. He was telling us about them and how hot they were. My other friend, a world traveller, says "I've eaten the hottest food in the world, ain't no pepper hot enough to burn my mouth. Gimme that..." <SWIPE>. I say "HOLD ON MAN!! Not only is that the hottest pepper you've ever seen, but it was grown HYDROPONICALLY. It'll kill ya!" He says "yeah right, watch this". I cringed when he took a bite. Next thing I saw was my buddy running down 3 flights of stairs to get to the hose bib. He was there for 30 minutes! We were just laughing, roaring at this guy for eating it..

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5
If a Jeep can't take you there, Think twice about going..

G

·
Since we're on the subject, the absolute best thing I've found for "puttin' out the fire" when you bite into somethin' too hot is bread. Not water - bread. Really, it works. 30-plus trips to Mexico (and not the resort towns) since '96, so I oughtta know.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
I keep a jar of habaneros in the fridge and when food needs a little spice I sliver one up and sprinkle it on. Man, it really wakes up
the flavor. BTW, someone once told me that habaneros cause hysterical deafness. That's so you don't hear your own screams after
eating them. I'm originally from Wisconsin, so it did take me a few years to get used to chilis. Now I love them.

Gary

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
True, all true...
I did find one Oriental pepper paste I think is hotter than habanero peppers, but I think they process it to make it hotter...

Habanero seeds will kill mice! A friend of mine has a restaurant in Texas, and he uses them for rodent control. Smears them with peanut butter, and they burn the lining out of the little critters digestive tract...

And to think, we suck em down like they are good.... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

If a tree falls in the forrest, and there is no woman around to hear it, is the man still wrong?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.