Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on swapping out my 258 engine this winter and was just going to swap in a 360 AMC. Now I'm thinking it may be cheaper overall to swap in a 350. I'm looking to buy a whole donor truck to get which ever engine I go with. I'm just curious what the length of a chevy combo would be, ie. 350-sm420/465-205 case? Is it longer than what I have now 258-t18a-dana 20? Overall length is an issue since I have a CJ-5. I'm just looking for ideas on what combo might work in my CJ with out having to use adaptors. I can find donor GM or Ford trucks fairly easily and more cheaply compared to a FSJ. The one plus to finding a FSJ Waggy is that I can also use the axles so I can keep my locker.

G

·
does your t-18 have the long input shaft? if it does it'll have an extention plate between the tranny and the bell housing.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I'm sorry I do not remember the final measurements of my power train. I will say that I ended up using a Chevy 350 with M.O.R.E bolt in motor mount, a Ford T-18 with a Scout II Dana 300 for my 80 CJ5. I can also say, any other type of heavy duty granny geared transmission / transfer case combination will will be longer. I am able to use the factory length drive shafts. The M.O.R.E motor mounts allow room for the full size HEI and SBC long water pump. I installed the Jeep T-18 output shaft and Dana 20 adapter onto Ford T-18. That saved me hundreds on an adapter.

IMO it woud be less expensive to use an AMC V8 in your CJ5 than convert to a Chevy 350.
dave

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
It won't work, using the SM465/NP205, too long for the CJ-5. You'd have about a 12" rear driveshaft if you did put it in. It is MUCH longer than the T-18a setup.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts