Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And a motor mount bracket we made. Tomorrow we should get hydraulic slave cylinder and master installed. Then I'm pretty much home free except for the radiator fit up.
RQ

PROUD! member of the EASTERN CHAPTER!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You need to put that in the trailer with "Newdad" and finish it on the way down.

John B.
Eastern Chapter Coordinator
Proud '72 "Bullnose" Driver
69,71 Commando Projects
50 Willys Jeepster

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Naw,
It'll be up and running within a few days. It only needs the motor finished(wiring harness, hydraulic clutch, test for bugs is still needed to be finished) The rest of it is trail tested and ready.
RQ

G

·
Hey RQ,
I've been toying with the idea of putting a 4.3 in and was wondering what the rest of your drive train was? I'm thinking about going with an SM420 or 465 with a divorced T-case (kind of like nobucks but with a different engine). Also would you mind posting the dimmensions of your motor mounts. I realize you have a body lift, so they might be different for me, but it would be a nice place to start.

1970 Jeepster half cab
225 V6/2.5" Suspension Lift/ Modified Roll Bar

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got the 4.3, an SM420 with an adapter to the Dana 20 (if I had it to do over again, I would go with a 300 case just in case I wanted to add 4:1 gears). Dana 44 rear and 30 up front. The body lift has given me a little more room to raise the motor and tranny.
I'll have to measure up the mount brackets and get back to you.
RQ

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Were you able to use a 4.3 bell housing, clutch, and throw out bearing? If I understand everything right (which rarely happens) the SM 420 should be almost a direct swap, minus that one bolt hole that needs to be machined. So in theory I should be able to take a 4.3 with a manual, modify the one hole and bolt everything together, Right? Did you put any type of reinforcments on the frame, I know the bullnose has bigger engines, but I was just wondering if it would make sense. Thanks for the help, my Jeepster thanks you too.

'88 MJ SporTruck
365K on 2.5L (Energizer Bunny Package)

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welllll,
I kinda backed into this 4.3 deal. I wanted fuel injection. My buddy came up with a free 4.3 motor with a lot of miles.
I was/am a little ignorant of the swap and the fuel injection.
I had about decided not to do it until my 225 dropped a valve.
I sent the 4.3 to the machine shop and that's where it started.
My bellhousing came from another good friend and it's out of a 57 Chevy (cool huh?)
Later in the process, I needed the serpentine system and all of the pumps, attachments etc.,,
I found a Chevy truck in a junk yard with a complete 4.3 and all attaching parts. Luckily is was cold and very wet and rather than sell me the individual parts, they cut the motor mounts and sold it all to me.. Same clutch, flywheel, etc.,
If I could have started with this truck, I would not have had to buy the wiring harness from Howell.
All I had to do to the SM420 was drill out the threads on two bolts on the bellhousing so they could be run in from the inside.
The SM420 is the absolute coolest thing I've done to the Jeepster.
I don't know about the 4.3 yet, but everybody keeps saying that I will love it!
No real frame reinforcements except where we attached the new motor mount brackets. From my experience with Jeepsters, you need to add steel near the rear spring hangar of the front springs. I've broken a frame there.
If you are going to do this, make sure that you completely understand everything that needs to be done. It is not simple. If I didn't have a best friend that is a killer good mechanic/fabricator, I would not even have considered this.
One more, Your motor mount brackets are going to be unique to your application. What I did may not matter. Measure the center of your driveline before you ever start. That is what matters. Some other guys on this BBS can elaborate further.
Long post huh?
good luck,
RQ

G

·
Whoops, the last post from Chris_MJ was from me, sorry using a shop computer and forgot to log in. I've had my jeepster for 9 months though. I have a friend who I work with who's extreamly good with cars, so I plan on having him help me. So why did you go with the bell housing from a 57? does the 4.3 one not bolt up? I would think you would want to use that so all the clutch stuff is there.

1970 Jeepster half cab

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check my long reply again. I didn't have an original 4.3 bellhousing. I'm also going with a hydraulic clutch this time. Been at that all night tonight. Making brackets and crap.
If you are not very clear on what this is going to take, you may want to reconsider. If I did not have my best friend who is an ace mechanic helping me with this, there is no way that I could have done it alone.
On the motor mount question, what we did was: measure the original crankshaft center location from between frame and the height of the center between the frame rails. After you bolt in the new motor, you need to position the new motor so that the crank is in the original position and the manifolds clear the frame rails. Then make your brackets to fit to the new motor. The 4.3 sits differently in the engine compartment than the 225 does.
One tip: use motor mounts from a 69 Camaro, they are small and strong.
The SM420 bolted right up to the old 225 bellhousing as it did with the 57 Chevy housing. Can't say what the newer model b'housing would do.
RQ

G

·
I'm not worried about not beeing able to do it, I'm just starting to do the research and figure you could answer some of my questions. I have a couple of good friends from the shop who are extreamly good engineers and mechanics, so they can help me if I need it. I also have access to a complete machine shop, so I can make just about anything I need. I appreciate your input on the motor mounts. I thought I read something a while back about a guy using a 4.3 bell housing, but I could be wrong. All of this could be for nothing, because I might be able to get my hands on Defender 90 drive train (5 cylinder diesel). We will see. Good luck on you swap, and thanks for the help.

1970 Jeepster half cab

G

·
5 speed transmission, diesel gearing, gear driven T-case, and to top it all off a PTO!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

1970 Jeepster half cab

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
The axles are stout too, factory lockers. A few people up here have Defender 90's, and I have wached one of them wheel, very impressive for being all stock! Looked into getting one, I found a used 96 with 70,000 miles for $40,000...in my dreams......

John
48 CJ-2A, 49 Willys truck, 70 Jeepster Commando, 89 Wrangler, 98 4x4 Tacoma

G

·
They are nice axles, I'm working on getting those. Four wheel disk, and I think the lug pattern is the same. We will see what happens.

1970 Jeepster half cab

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.