Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to look at a 78 cj-5 tomorrow and it has been converted to a chevy engine transfer case and transmission. The motor is a 350 and the transmission is a turbo 350. If anyone has any idea of things that go wrong with this conversion or disadvantages of this I would appreciate it. Also what should I look at to see if the conversion was done correctly.
Thanks,
Bill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It is also mounted to a fiberglass tub and fenders if that makes a difference in how the conversion should be done.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
The first thing that comes to my mind is driveshaft length and angles. It not going to be easy to tell without some good measurement equipment. In the test drive if you feel vibration, "BINGO" there is a driveshaft problem. Don't just accept that "Oh it just needs u-joint" crap! Look at the welds done for the motor mounts, if the welds look professional then most likely the welder knew what he doing. Look at the wiring, if there are lots of taped wires and it looks unclean or clutter it's a sign there could be problems with the electrical system. Check all the lights, wipers, horn, heater blower and anything else electrical.

Find out what the original engine was. Check the cooling system, by letting the engine idle for 15 minutes, if it overheats at idle then there is a sign the cooling system is not up to grade for a 350. Check into the transmission oil cooler, did they use a radiator cooler or an external cooler. I recommend an external cooler.
dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.