Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i posted a thread on here a while back about the 4x4 on my 2003 chev s10 pickup. Basically the 4x4 works but when you go to engague the 4x4 it dosnt seem to in! I press the button and the light stays nice and solid no flashing and you can here the clicking like it wants to go in but it wont. It will if you give it some gas and then it will make a loud grind noice and then a huge click will happen and will go in. So this weekend I tryed to look more into this problem. I first started with the vaccume and cable under the battery tray! The vaccume is working I can watch it suck in and out, but there is not alot of pressure there really, like possibly not enough to push that cable. I can move the cable with a pair of pliers attached to the end and I can pull on it and push it back in etc..(wold this cable be seized up possibly?) Now I went to pull that cable out that goes to the gear box right by the oil pan there and I got it unscrewed but when I went to pull on it, it would not come out! There is a little triangular bracket that this screws into does that have to come off?????? Any help with this would be appriciated. Have i started in the right place??????? Thanks.

· Registered
134 Posts
Sorry for such a late reply, I haven't been on here that much anymore. If it's a push button 4x4 it has no vacuum port like the lever actuated 4x4's. But the actual electric motor that is used to engage 4WD on the electric push button 4x4's. It may be the cable that is binding, because it may be kinked and not have enough slack; but ultimately I believe the culprict is the actual electric motor that engages 4WD, either way you should have a shop check it out just to be sure!!. Late.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it is a push button by the way. but yeha i have heard from some one that those electric motors could be the problem and they usually are apparently! Thanks for the input. I am going to start to get some parts! I am gonna start with a new cable and actuator which will be about $200 and then if no luck i will go get the motor!

· Registered
134 Posts
No problem, man that's why we're here. Glad I could shed some light on the situation!!. Yes, the electronic motors were prone to failure, I don't know why I didn't mention that previously!!. Let me know what develops, and hope you get it working properly!. Late.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.