Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it seems that mounting a cherokee power steering box into a Samurai is not so easy to do. Using a parts rig I have, I attempted to make room for this monstrosity.
First thing I see is that the radiator mounting bracket has to be chopped off the frame. OK, no big deal. I can fab a new one somewhere else. Then I realized that the pitman arm was too far rearward. And that seems to be the crux. In order to make room, the radiator would need to be moved an inch or two so that the steering box could be slid forward by it.
I think I'll try one out of an Chevy S10. I was looking at one today. It's much shorter and also has the bonus of using a rag joint. And it looked like it would hook up to the hoses I already have with the saginaw pump. Oh, anyone got pics of a saginaw in a Samurai? Any suggestions on fabbing brackets would be appreciated.

G

·
Well, since I can get a Cherokee power steering system for close to free, I think I am just going to go ahead and do it all and do a writeup on how to do it. I don't want to spend $300 on power steering! Screw that shiznit! I'll do the extra work to save money man. Plus, I like doing things to my rig so I can make my mother wig out when I have it all torn down in the garage!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To me, it looks like moving the radiator means going to an electric fan. That's an additional expense unless you can come up with one for nothing.
I think the frame crossmember may also be in the way, and you can't cut that. Even for free, it doesn't seem to be a good candidate for power steering in a Samurai.
If anyones done it, I'd like to know.

G

·
I'll find a way to do it, don't you worry. I will find a way to do that. I can easily get an electric fan... but my question is would I keep the stock mechanical one? Or just toss that one out. Wouldn't hurt to leave it in I suppose to keep the thing cooler. About how much would I need to move the radiator over? I will do a complete writeup on it once I actually do it. Waiting for the guy to scrap out the Jeep to send it down, which will be rather shortly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.