Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have briefly touched upon this a few times, both a few posts back (tex was involved) and in the "you guys have too much $$$" post more recently. What company has sold stock wheels on vehicles that fit CJs (particularly 77s)? I know that there are lots of companies with the same bolt-spacing (including Ford, dodge, etc.) but are there any that have the proper size center hole to clear the locking hubs? My shiny ford aluminum wheels would be right if the hole in the center was bigger. When I eventually decide to get rid of the pitted stock steel wheels and throw something new (used, cheap, etc.) on there, what should I look for? Make, model, year?

Deano

Measure once, cut twice...or is that the other way around?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think that pre- "Ram" style Dodges would work. Again, check the center hole & watch out for certain years that had the small 5 on 4.5" wheel pattern. GM & imports are all 6-lug, so they're out. And newer Dodges with 16" rims might not have the hub hole since they don't have hubs anymore.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

· Registered
314 Posts
What about after market wheels ? Seems like the whole might be bigger so it would fit all three makes of vehicles?

· Registered
593 Posts
Heres a thougnt...Not sure how much something like this might cost, but its gotta be cheaper than buying new rims.
I remember reading in one of the 4x mags about someone doing a manual locking hub conversion on a TJ which required having the center hole on the stock rims machined to a bigger size to fit the hubs.
Mabye you could have the hole in the center of those Ford rims done up the same way...

'79 CJ-7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my friend has a new style ram, they will fit the rear of a ford 5 5.5, the front would not for the fact the ram does not have front hubs, also the ram had hellcats and then sold them to somone with a ford, they took the front center cap and had them turned on a lath and they look factory like there was soppuse to be a whole in the center cap.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
use to get the center cut out of steel wheels so to fit over a larger hud
for $4.00 . It was done in a machine shop.

· Registered
7,289 Posts
Almost any aftermarket (F-150) wheels will work. (5 on 5 1/2)
Most of the have the large centers.(like the above post stated)
Most aftermarket companies try to make them "universal".
Always try before you buy if your uncertain if possible, but I found the 150's to be the easiest fit.
BTW 80-82 f-100's are 5 on 4 1/2 so always check bolt circle and backspace as ford trucks can run more backspace than jeeps without hitting anything.
(they can run more backspace but I've never found one personally that did. It is possible though)

I knew everything when I was 16......How come I'm so stupid now?

· Registered
7,901 Posts
'75 and up Scout II's will fit. They actually used the same hub as that era CJ's. I can swap back and forth without any problems. The '74 was an iffy year as the front D44 was an option and not standard. They are also drsigned to clear the front disc brakes, whereas the older Scout (drum front) rims won't work due to the backspacing not clearing the discs.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205/7" Lift/33" Swampers/D44's F&R 4.10's & Lockrights

· Registered
4,757 Posts
anything old will fit..
old dodge..early 80's for sure.. i kinda like the aluminum"hurricane" rims the half ton pich/ups had.. i even found some 10" type ones for my boggers
old ford f-150..almost any you find with a ford 9" in the back should work my favorites here are the mag"slot" rims...they polish up nice with a little rouge and look great on my street tires
scouts were 5x5.5 for MANY years

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

· Registered
328 Posts
Would you believe that I bought some brand new Bridgestone radial M/S tires on brand new Suzuki Samerai rims that fit my ' 72 CJ5? They were not very big, but those tires bit in good when plowing snow and they rode really smooth.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Nut, let me guess.....In keeping with your low-buck approach to Jeeping, you got 'em for five bucks apiece./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

· Registered
328 Posts
Naaah......I think I paid either $125 or $150 for the set. They really wern't bad looking. Painted silver with little triangle shaped holes all the way around.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.