Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking the other day about a quick test for spark and I'm thinking that I could just get a spare spark plug and pull one plug wires off and put the spare plug in it and turn it over a couple of times to see if it is sparking at all or has a weak spark. Then reconnect that wire and move to the next. My question is : Would this harm anything and is it a good field test to see if the distributer, rotor wires are bad?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have done this before to check to see if there was spark. I don't think that it will hurt anything, but I am not 100% sure.

·
Registered
920 Posts
You can hold the bare wire and have someone crank it. A black finger--spark decent, black arm--good spark, pass out--wow kick a$$ spark. Or you can just do it your way.

Sike, your absolutely right-Bob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Easier way to see if there is spark is use a inductive timing light. Just clip it over each of the wires if if don't flash no spark. Won't tell you the power though it does need a minimum to work not sure what that is though. This is how I check for spark. Hope this helps and Good Luck,

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
You could get one of those cheap testers from harborfreight tools/tractorsupply, places like that its around $6. It has a male plug terminal on one end & a female on the other with a transparent globe in the center for observing the spark strenth w/o setting the vehicle on fire
, it just taps in-line between your cap & sparkplugs...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts