Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got an easy and cheap upgrade for putting disc on Dana 44 rear. I looked at using the 44front rotors, brackets and disc from a Scout pretty easy but new rotors are $90 EACH!
Anybody else got any ideas. Bolt on or close to it prefered. What about Wagoneer front stuff?

· Registered
4,060 Posts
I asked this question before and this is the response I got.

"I went to the local speed shop and got weld on brackets for GM Intermediate calipers, I used rotors from a Blazer (6 lug) and calipers from a 78 Blazer. I got the rotors and calipers from AutoZone for $80 total and the brackets for $18. Do not use any caliper with parking brake provisions!!! They cost a buttload of money up front. For a 5 or 8 lug conversion, just pick a vehicle (GMs cost the least) and go to AutoZone, NAPA, etc and ask to look at the rotors and calipers for that vehicle. Then imagine putting the rotor on the inboard side of the rear axle flange. IF it will work- also purchase the wheel studs for that vehicle. I used air pressure to hold the caliper shut while I welded the brackets onto the axle tubes- but that is just what worked best for me. With a little creativity- you could have disk brakes for about $100. Good luck, and let me know if you have other questions I can answer for you. Luke"

I figure that just about says it all...one more thing to do to those axles in the back yard...!

My Jeep is just a leaky submarine in disquise

· Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, great info. I certainly like a cheap setup and a bolt on is nice also.
STill could use info on FSJ disc ideas or using the Scout II caliper brackets which can be found for about $25 each.
Thanks,
Pigpen

· Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For the Wagoneer I was thinking more along the line of the caliper bracket and caliper that is if they are like the early Dana 30 caliper set up with the bolt on caliper bracket. I haven't looked under a Wagoneer to check. I do have the article you posted. Great info just expensive. $90-135 for each disc, calipers couldn't be found but only $25 for the brackets.
Thanks,
Pigpen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.