Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know JKS makes a set of heavy duty tie rods that mount on top of the steering knuckles, but they're $330 before shipping for two pieces of metal tubing. Anyone come up with a cheaper way? I'm trying to get rid of my dropped pitman arm because my tie rod hits the leaf spring under a lot of articulation.

· Registered
606 Posts
the problem is your current knuckles are tapered from the bottom, right? So they would have to be drilled and retapered from the top in order to use TRE's. Could you drill them straight through and use a heim joint? Otherwise, I believe early Dana 44 knuckles will bolt on to your dana 30; 74-77 FSJ 44's have flat top knuckles that are tapered from the top down and will accept the large (7/8")Chevy tie rod ends. except then you need a way to hook up your draglink, as the 44 knuckle only has one hole in it (your 30 has two holes); so you get around that by mounting a highsteer arm on top of the knuckle for the draglink. Then you got dana 44 outers and beefy steering on a wimpy Dana 30. Hmmm. Might as well swap the whole axle, then you got something. And, uh, what was the question? /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Heim joints and 1 1/4" DOM tubing is the cheapest method to mount something on top of your current knuckle.

Max

82 CJ, some stuff stock, some stuff not
Have you hugged your Jeep today?
http://www.alpine14rs.org

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.