Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm about ready to get axles for my project CJ-7. Sure, I could go to Currie and get a Dana 60 and 44 for a LOT of money, but I'm cheap, so I'm going to a junkyard. What year/kind of vehicles do I need to look under? I'm looking for ease of installation and low cost. It's for a 85 CJ-7(SOA, 401, Dana 300, NV-4500)

Steve
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gifJust Empty Every Pocket/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Zombie.... you forgot a couple of kinda important things

1 do you want to go full width, close to stock, or?????

2 Does gearing matter??

3 how about lug count, can it be a 6 lug, or even an 8 lug???

4 I'm sure there's more, but... i cant think of it right now

Good luck
BJ

to hell with it, lets go wheelin'

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
here is what I would do..
get a chevy 10 bolt front axle with disk brakes.. they are cheap
match it with a dana 44 rear axle out of a mid 90's isuzu , they have disk brakes and 4.10 gears.. the option for the isuzu was 4.27 gears and a posi.. i found one of those around here (north Carolina)for $600 and i called my dad in wisconsin and they were the same there.. then you'll have to run 6 bolt rims, but the bolt pattern should be the least of your worries

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. I'd like to stay "close" to stock(a couple extra inches are okay w/ me)
2. Gearing will matter later(as in tire size is going to be 35 )
3. Lug doesn't matter to me, I'm not picky
4. I'll be adding a locker later(when I can afford it), disc brakes on the 44, drum on the 60
5. I drive a TJ(no my folks didn't buy it for me), this CJ thing just kinda happened to me so be gentle I'm still learning.

Steve
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gifJust Empty Every Pocket/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I too have an 85 CJ 7 and would like Dana 44's front and rear. Gears, I would like something that will move 35's. Lug pattern, the more the better. Width is important, as I don't want the hassle of cutting them, so as close to stock, slightly longer fine by an inch or so...Disk brakes, a major plus…Elusive mentioned Isuzu, I'd like to know as much info on years, makes models etc, so that I might be able to get a good start on bomb proof axles. Thanks for the time.

CJ More

It's not a show Jeep, It's a go Jeep

·
Registered
571 Posts
I don't know about front axles for a SOA, but for a rear end I used a Ford 9" out of a 74 Bronco. Any 66-77 Bronco should work, but the later ones get you bigger bearings and brakes. I mounted the springs under, (bought new perches and welded them on) but they ended up mounting right under the origional perches. My '79 is a narrow track and the 9" is about 3" wider each side, if I remember right. It also has the Jeep 5x5 1/2 bolt pattern. I don't know how much wider your springs are apart, but you could torch off the existing perches and re-weld out a bit.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
isuzu rodeo, i think 93-96 is your best bet.. try to get the 4.27 gears, cause they have the posi in them.. they are 6 lug pattern and have VERY thick axle tubes... i am kinda wishing i had gone that route

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're cheap and you're running a 401 and a nv4500/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif I wish I could afford to be that cheap. I let you in on a little junkyard secret of mine. Vans, especially Ford vans are good sources of axles. some ford vans run a 5 on 5.5 9inch rear that measures 58". Also some dodges and ford vans run rear 60s with 5 on 5.5. Any way be sure to look under any vans you see in boneyards. The isuzu rear ends are nice but be sure to get a dana 44 with a cast center section. If you get an aluminum rear you'll screw yourself. But IMHO don't use a 10 bolt for anything but a bolt or winch anchor. Spend the extra cash on a 44. You can strip the 10 bolts from the knuckles out but leave the rest to the wolves. Best of luck on your project.
Travis

Inquire about my witty original saying contest/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just picked up a pair of axles for my '71 this weekend. '79 Cherokee wide track axles. I am doing a spring over and wanted the width. The tires are going to stick out about 10" past the body. This may be too much for you, but the narrow track axles are only a few inches wider than Wrangler axles if that is a concern. The rear just needs to have new perches welded on and the front isn't much more difficult except for welding to the pumpkin. The front spring hangers need to be moved outboard of the frame. I got my set for $350 including wheels, tires and steering components including pitman arm. I found them cheaper ($132.00 each) but was too late and they had been stripped of the axle shafts.

Lee

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Hi,
Im new to the forrum, but I just finished my second swap of an always overlooked but excelent swap. I just swapped an 8.8 Ford with rear disks,3.73 gears and trac lock out of a 95 explorer, with 36K miles and fresh rear brakes . I picked it up at junk yard in Reno,Nv. for $425.00. The explorer has 5 on 4 1/2" pattern(perfect for wranglers) but can be converted to 5 on 5 1/2 very easily. It is almost identical(1/2" narrower) in width to a wrangler. they have very beefy axle tubes(3.25")and and 31 spline shafts(1.32), the pinion is 1.625 and it has a super strong pinion yoke. The added benefits of the rear discs are a big plus.The only difficult part is converting the brake lines and e-brake but they are not that bad,although I have not been able to find stainless lines for the configuration I needed so Im using rubber at the time. Total cost for the swap was as follows $425 axle, $560 Detroit, $225 4.56 gears and master Kit, Gear and locker set up $0.00(but my kitchen/dining room is a mess). $150 to have the perches(SOA)and shock mounts(on top of axle)welded to axle,(I dont trust my welding on the axle tubes). I also welded a new cross member above the axle to atatch the upper shock mounts inward and still be able to use the same shocks evn with the lower mount on top of the axle. This really takes advantage of the extra unsprung weight of the newer much heavier axle and allows for verg good downward travel. there are acouple of other items brake proportioning valve,brake lines,U bolts perches,etc.. But for less than $1400 installed you get a seriousely strong rear axle with choice of gears,locker and disc brakes. I am also selling my Dana 35,w/4.56, Detroit, and spring over perches(the stock perches are still there for that matter),to offset the cost of the swap. I had it out this weekend and it worked awsome. Later,
Jeff
89 Wrangler

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.