Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a MSD Blaster Coil on my engine last October. I have to say this is the ONLY thing I have bolted onto my truck, and I do mean bolted, that has actually IMPROVED my mileage. I got mine from Summit for a wopping $52 including shipping and handling. To install it all you have to do is take off your air filter housing, locate your stock coil, unplug the 3 wires going to it, unbolt it, drill out the rivets that hold it to the metal frame, bolt the MSD coil to that metal frame, reinstall the MSD coil and frame in the factory location, plug the wires back in, reinstall the air filter housing, and you are ready to go. Only took me about an hour. Someone who actually can claim to be mechanically inclined could do it much faster. Much, much faster to be honest./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif
Like I said, cheap and easy to do.
Now, at first I didn't notice any improvements. Drove same as before and gas mileage was unchanged. Then I was advised that I should open the gap in my plugs a little. I just use the AC Delco replacement plugs, nothing special. First off I opened them up .010 over the factory settings, so I was at .045. No noticeable improvement in driving, but my mileage went from 280-290 a tank to 310-320 (I live in SoCal, all stop and go driving). The engine seemed to be running fine, so I decided to push my luck a bit and open the plugs up some more. Another .005 to .050. It drives the same as it did before, but now I am getting about 330-340 a tank (same stop and go driving). So I am not getting about 1.5 mpg more than I was before I put the MSD coil on. For $52.

As far as I can tell, it should work for all GM TBI engines. None of the ads I have seen for it differentiates between engines, just say GM TBI. The MSD part number is MSD-8226. That is the part number that Summit uses.

Just wanted to share this little doohickey with my fellow TBI users./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Try it, I can't see how it would hurt you any, and you will either be out $50 or be getting better gas mileage.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 3" Flowmaster 40 DF, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 2.5" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Hmmm guess I should have got the MSD. I put the accel coil on mine, thought I noticed some improvements, but you always do when you do something to your truck. Sereioulsy I doubt the accel changed anything mpg, or performance.

Thanks for letin us know how the MSD coil is doing, looks like Ill have to toss the ACCEL and give MSD a shot.
Thanks
The Kid

She runs, so Im gona keep her

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dunno anything about the Accell coil, actually I didn't even know it existed. Did you regap your spark plugs? I didn't notice any improvements until after I regapped the spark plugs. Like I said, mine are .015 over the factory specs, but I have no funny noises under the hood, the service engine light doesn't come on, my plugs look like they are working right, and I seem to be getting about another 1.5mpg.

I'd say try opening the gap if you haven't, and if it doesn't, ditch the thing for an MSD one. I got it because it was my birthday and I had the $50, it looked easy to do, and I plan on eventually having an entirely MSD ignition. I have the coil and the wires right now.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 3" Flowmaster 40 DF, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 2.5" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

G

·
I think "drilling out the rivets" means that it is technically *not* a "bolt on". /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

G

·
I agree w/ ya AJM...100%. Exactlly the same story here. Didn't notice anything till I oppen up the gaps to .045 and Now am rumming NGK's @.060 and have gained approx. 1.5 mpg.... and that's w/ cruddy 3.08 gears and a pretty worn in motor /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Excellent mod for anyone looking for a decent priced performance increaser.

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

·
Registered
157 Posts
Wow, thanks for the info AJM! I'm There! Part number and everything. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif later, Brian.

G

·
Guess I need to open the gaps. I have been at the state of dissapointment stage for a year. I eveh had one of the MSD coils quit me within a month of installation. The replacement is going fine, just no noticeable change. I'll get out the gapper.

Thank you AJM.

Nich Kenny
'89 K1500 350/700r4

G

·
I have a Jacobs Ultra Team ignition and am running .065 gap on some Autolite plugs. When i had my emmissions done they were way down from last year with the stock ignition. I really dont know if i had mileage gains as i never recorded my mileage before.

How does it feel to be beaten by a sewing machine?
HUSQVARNA WXC610

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
I regapped my AC plugs to .045 and didnt notice any impreovement, maybe I should go wider still. As soon as my trucks road worthy again I do some tunning.
I have heard some automotive mechanics say that they keep increasing the gap in small increments untill they notice a performance drop. I guess thats how they know theyve gone to far, after the performance drop then they decrease the gap a little untill the performance drop is gone. And thats where they leave them.

But these are usaully built motors, so I dont know how it would work on a stock motor, or close to stock, but I think Ill try it ounce my trannies bolted under my truck.
thanx
the kid

She runs, so Im gona keep her

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
my plugs are gapped at the .045 spec right now... i might opem them a lil' bit. i mentioned it to Dad and he said I need to watch out because the bigger spark could damage the valve seals? True or not????

Shorts <-- It's not what you think /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif ...and don't ask what it is

'94 Chevy K1500, with stuff...needs more stuff

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I don't see how it would damage valve seals... I believe the only thing that it could hurt would be the life of the electrode on the plugs... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)

G

·
Thanks AJM

I had the same coil on my '89 Blazer for 6 months before I parked it for the rebuild & found no difference. Guess I'll have to retry the gapping when the Blazer is back together.

Brian
89KBlazer

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
now, will openning the gap with the stock coil do anything?

88 crewcab w/38's. For sale.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
It may help alittle, Maybe try .04 instead of .035, its worth a try

JUST COWBOY UP

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I have a 454. is the gap only .035 on this? I thought it was .045

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Uh I dont know what the gap is sposed to be for the 454. 350s are .035, I would think the gap for the big block would be larger since its burning more fuel.

JUST COWBOY UP

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
actually guys, chilton's has the gaps for the 350 and 454 (V8s) at .045....the 4.3 is at .035

Shorts <-- It's not what you think /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif ...and don't ask what it is

'94 Chevy K1500, with stuff...needs more stuff

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Desert Rat. Should say what your spark plug gap is on the emissions sticker under the hood. If you don't have that sticker any more, find a truck with an engine like yours, and look at theirs. My chilton's manual also has the specs.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I'll check on tht tomorrow when I am yanking out the power steering pump. Thanks

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Shorts,
are those specs for the newer trucks or are they for all of them, I could of swour my sticker under the hood said .035
Or maybe I saw that in my hayes manual, you know their so acurate (not), but I guess their close.

JUST COWBOY UP

1 - 20 of 28 Posts