Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone redrilled a six bolt wagoneer rear axle to a 5 x 5 1/2 pattern? who did it? how? thanks in advance.

will

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
it requires lots of BEER...
im following this thread too..

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you considering using ford fronts and redrilling the rear for 5 bolt?

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
actually I was just seeing what was suggested to see if I can help you out!

Im gonna stick with 6 bolts...now I wish I hadnt given away my Fullsize last month...

new tires, and the wheels Im going to have to BUY now...damnit

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anyone?

G

·
Have not drilled axle hubs, so take this for what it is worth - maybe nothing.

Axles are hardened. Different axles are hardened differently. Hubs may or may not be hardened. I don't know. Am quite sure the drilling process will need to be precision as opposed to hand drilled. Each hole needs to be precision in size, roundness, angle and position. The Mosers on my D60 were double drilled, but that would have been done in their precision manner (whatever it is) and before any hardening if the hubs are actually hardened.

Since the holes are off center - from the center of the axle - it would be difficult, not impossible, but difficult to do the job on a lathe. Length of axle makes it difficult for a milling machine too. A heavy duty drill press would probably work, but they typically are not the precision of a lathe or mill. If you think this sounds like I don't know what method the axle makers use for the drilling process, you are correct, but if I wanted to get this job done, my first step would be to call local axle shops, then machine shops, then contact the distant axle makers like Moser. From all that info I could get a very good idea of what I needed to do.

Hope this helps.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
CBrack.com

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I'll be following this thread too, as I've got D44 axles from an 86 G'Wagon. The only two things I've heard is to use Ford axles or to redrill the old ones. I've got a simpler question- where can I find aftermarket 6-lug rims? 15" tall and 10" wide, preferably bead-lockable steel rims, black (but sand-paper, primer, and paint can fix any color problems.)

My Jeep is just a leaky submarine in disquise

1 - 8 of 8 Posts