but i was told changing the tranny fluid is kind of a
bad idea unless you have too because the fluid acts
like a detergent and could cause the tranny to start
slipping!

ANY TRUTH TO THIS!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Check your maintenance schedule. You'll see that changing the tranny fluid is a part of regular the maint. program. Transmission fluid definatly had a lot of detergents in it so as to be able to keep crud formed thru wear off the parts of the tranny and in suspension where the filter can remove it. I've heard many stories as to exactly what its made out of (Vegitable oil being one of the more interesting). I was tought in an automotive class at the University of MD that its basically a 5 weight motor oil with a lot of detergent in it and dyed red (or green) so as to be easily distinguished from the other fluits a car might leak.
If you have high miles and the fluid has never been changed then changing it could cause problems with the new fluid upseting the balance of crud and wear. I've had this happen in 2 vehicles and its not fun. Oh well, now I know better.

Brian Oberle
95 Pathfinder XE

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris,

This is not true. Auto transmission fluid needs to be changed regularly. Keeping clean fluid in your transmission will prolong its life. Adding an in-line oil cooler is a very good idea if you plan to tow or otherwise put a lot of stress on the transmission. Heat is the worst ememy for an auto trans.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts