Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting some D44 axles from an '86 Grand Wagoneer to put in my '89 Wrangler. The rear axle has a factory LS in it. The gears are 2.72 so they NEED to go in favor of 4.09s. I guess this means that I will have to get new carriers as well, but can I keep the factory LS? How good is this LS unit (guessing its the Trac-Lock and not the Powr-Lock) or should I just replace it with a Lockright? The front axle is getting a Warn Hub conversion and a Lockright.... I've heard some people say that LS is as good as a locker, and others say there is no comparison. This will be a daily driver, but big deal.

G

·
If you are going to replace the carrier you can't keep the LS, it is part of the carrier. I said this in an earlier post, there is no
comparison between LS and lockers, I've run both in both ends, 2 different worlds. BTW, since you are going to have to get a
new carrier for the rear anyway, why no just do it right and go Detroit Locker. Check out the price difference between a new carrier
and Lock Rite and a Detroit which has its own carrier, there isn't that much difference. That's what I did last fall when I replaced
mine in my Model 20. The best part is, I don't think you could hurt the Detroit, but the LockRite is only as strong as the stock
carrier (IMO not very).

Brad
Get active or get locked out, the choice is yours.

G

·
Ditto...as usual... on what Brad said. Your gonna need new carriers to go to 4.09 or lower gears. Probably $50-60 a peice. A Lock-Right is about $250. I just went through this delimma and through Drivetrain Direct I got Detroits for $448 each. For the price difference of about $140-150 I got a locker thats a LOT stronger than the carrier or the Lock-Right (I'm not knocking Lock Rights, mine has performed flawlessly). The Detroit upgrade was a "no brainer" for me.
Shain

G

·
Doesen't Moser Engineering make a ring gear spacer that can be used in lew of changing the carrier? Since your in a daily driver and it already has a limited slip of sorts that you would like to use, it might be worth a phone call to them to find out. 219 726-6689 Moser Eng. If they don't have one or don't recommend using one, get in touch with Drivetrain Direct, thats where I got my 44 carrier for around $40. Steve

Mopar360yj
87yj+20,74CHR.030360,SOA,35BFGATs,46RH,241DHD,
D60-44-4.10

· Registered
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4WP Wholesalers has Detroit EZ-Lockers for $230, so I may go with 2 of those those. I have called up any number of places and here are the best prices I've fond so far:

4WP Wholesalers-
2 Carriers, 2 sets of 4.10 R&P (Genuine Gear), 2 installation kits- $555, when I asked if they would match Leon Rosser's quote of $500 they said yes and that theirs comes with a lifetime guarantee.
2 Detroit EZ-lockers- $460

Warn-
Warn Premium Manual-locking Hubs, 19 spline, PN# 20990, MDL M198- $98

A&A Auto Recycling (local junkyard with friendly people)
1 set of Dana 44 axles from a 1986 Grand Wagoneer- $300

Total Damage comes to $1358.

4WD Wholesalers did have Aburn mini-spools "from $50" and I am considering one of these for the front- what do you think?

G

·
Don't try turning with a mini spool, great for rear, not so great for front.

Brad
Get active or get locked out, the choice is yours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.