Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, & gals,

I have an 84CJ7. Here in Jersey the lift laws and inspection are a bit stiff. It seems that as long as your vehicle is "historic" you are able to get away with a lot more.

Here's my question. What do you have to do to be "historic"? Can I just switch to an older frame and title? What about the VIN#? Who has done this before? What else do you have to do in order to have an older Title? Thanks.

Just pushing thoughts through my head thats all....lol

1997 TJ w/ 33's & 1984 CJ7 V8/35's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/

·
Registered
586 Posts
Legally you should have a 25 year or older title and frame. Then have the body re vinned.
In Maryland, if it's 25 years or older you don't need to have the vehicle inspected which means you can get Historic tags with just the title. They don't even look at the vehicle. You can get away with alot more in MD with a Historic tag such as lifts, fender cuts, etc. but if you ever get pulled over and the cop wants to see your vin number your screwed. Remember cops drive Jeep also and may know that CJ7's weren't made before 76.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
i know in some states.. 20 years you can register it as a classic.. not sure if its the same as historic.. but its 5 years sooner.. and the only thing is that you specify one month a year that you dont drive it.. so for 30 days you have to be good... and you only do this once.. meaning no inspections.. retags or whatever..
i would just get the vin#'s and title from a pre 80 jeep cj.. and put them on yours then title it as that one.. and keep yours for a spare..
i am trying to title mine that way as an 81.. so next year i can get these plates..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know how true this is, but I have heard that some states only allow "historic" vehicles to be driven on certain days(i.e. weekends). Again I don't know how true this is, but its something to keep in mind.
Best bet would be to check your states regulations and question everything that is unclear before going through the trouble.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.