Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking into a cat-back exhast for my 98TJ. I was told by my local muffler shop that I would get better performance from deleting the catalitic converter all together. Will this work?

Randy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Of course you will get better performance if you remove the catalytic converter. But you will also be violating a federal law.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Lucky you, then again the ozone is getting bigger and bigger./wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif
Go with Borla cat back system./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

Nycjeep /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
The check engine light will go on when you leave the gas cap off, dirty air cleaner, change the oil at 3,001 miles, remove the cat, sneeze with the top down, run over the neighbors dog, or play country music on the radio.

But seriously, I think it will come on, there are so many sensors on them they can detect everything, and I'm sure it includes the cat. I'd throw on a Borla or Gibson rather than remove the cat. But then again, when our cat blew apart and plugged the exhaust, nothing happened, so you might give it a whirl. We're looking into an aftermarket cat that can withstand the off-roading and reduce the backpressure. We'll install the cat-back at the same time.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the posts. What kind of HP gains do you get with the cat back systems? Is it worth while or should I wait till my exhaust falls off first and spend my money else where? What kind of $$'s for the aftermarket cat?

Randy

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
On all '96 and newer cars, they use ODB11. One of the standards is using an oxygen sensor in front of the cat and one behind the cat. This way they can monitor the performance of the catalyst. If you remove the cat, there won't be and difference in voltage, and flag a "check engine" light.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.