Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so if all the emmission stuff is a good thing and the carter bbd can be made to work well then any of you guys run a carter bbd and like it?

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Yes and no.
Stripped the emmission crap and put a new non-comp. (non-stepper) carb on it.
I'm happy./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif It won't run with a new 4.0 though. It's just a good running old 6.

"No officer I haven't been drinking , Thats just how my Jeep drives"

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I have a Carter with the Stepper unplugged and a GM HEI. It works great. This is the setup I arrived at after several days of trying to get all the emissions in order. I replaced all my vacuum hoses and then my computer crapped out.

Good Luck,

85 CJ7-4.2L,T-176,D300,2.5"lift,32"BFG MT,Durabak,York-Air,HEI

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea i am only 6 weeks into this rig with the carter and 6cyl. still will die at idle sometimes. dont know why. i havnt really mastered the three idle settings yet. i have accessed the valuable site-
www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/258bbd/Major.htm
it explains things in great depth with xlnt photos-couldnt ask for any more.

i know i will get it right sooner or later!

steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I guess I qualify as a Carter BBD supporter. It's not that I think the Carter is any better than the Weber or Holley, but mine runs awesome... plenty of power & torque, purrs like a kitten at idle - I'm talkin' smmmooooottthhh baby /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif, starts immediately and without complaints, and I rarely have to fiddle with it. PLUS, I'll pass emissions. This is important where I live.

Granted, it took me months to get it to this point. First, I had to reroute and replace all the vacuum hoses - previous owner had 'em all screwed up. Second, I replaced the EGR Valve. Third, I rebuilt the Carter - if you do this, make sure you have the throttle shaft rebushed, because this is an infamous source of vacuum leaks. Fourth, I rebuilt the head - it was a mess. During the head rebuild, I discovered that some of the manifold bolts were loose. Whoever designed that manifold should be shot... it's near impossible to get a socket to some of those back bolts. The final step will be to upgrade the ignition system.

You'll notice that steps 1-4 were all fixing vacuum leaks. I think (and many others have stated this before me), that elimination of vacuum leaks is the secret to the Carter.

Although, if the Carter ends up quiting on me, I'll probably go with something else.

Go easy! You're talkin' to a greenhorn.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do yourself a favor and do like I did. Go to Autozone with $142.99 in your hand and buy a freshly rebuilt one. It has a new stepper motor and is already set up to factory spec. It's the best money I've spent. Another thing, follow the link and print out the tech article. Then take a volt/ohm meter and go through the system and REPLACE everything that isn't working. Don't be a tight ass and try to get by if a part is crapping out on you. All of the emissions stuff is tied together. If one thing isn't working, chances are it's effecting something else and so on. I recently followed the tech article and after replacing the carb, oxygen sensor, vapor canister, and egr valve my '85 has never run better. And it passes emissions with no problem.

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/258bbd/index.htm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ride on a trail with about a 50-60 degree hill climb. I haven't had any trouble... stalling, sputtering, etc. When everything is working right, it works great. If you don't live in an area that requires emissions testing and don't plan to, then by all means, if you are unhappy with the stock setup, go with a performance intake, exhaust and ignition system. I've heard the Ofenhauser/Holly 390 is a nice setup. I must pass emissions so I've kept mine stock and I haven't been disappointed. Good luck with whatever you decide!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.