Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm told by my mechanic that my 86 CJ7 needs a new carb. Currently has a 2BBD on the inline six engine. It has recently been stalling at idle speed and choking up from getting too much fuel at low RPM's. It's OK at running speed. My question is first is it possible that it could be repaired and he's not given it a good effort and the second is what kind of price range am I looking at for a replacement carb, I've never had to buy one before.

You can't judge a Jeep by its paint job!

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
look back on this page a ways and you will see many many poeple haveing troubles with that carb.. it is worthless..buy a new one...or better yet get the offenhauser intake and a new holley 500 2bbl... that really wakes up the 258......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't give up on the ol' Carter BBD yet. I have seen several people swap it out with a different one only to find that their problems were caused by something else. One thing to remember is that depending on where you live, changing out the carb could make you smog illegal. I have the Carter BBD and I run just fine.

Rebuilding them is not hard....a good shop should do it for $60 or less if you take the bare carb to them. Make sure they replace the float, its a common cause of flooding. Also, go visit the Aug 98 issue of Off road. There is a great section in there on all the emmissions controls and how to check them out. I would not put on a new carb unless you can't get your BBD rebuilt. Now, if your rich...buy the Mopar FI setup...its the only way to go.

John......southern CA
84CJ7,3"lift,32"BFG,4.11's,ARB,Solid Axle's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recently ran into a similar problem and opted to go with a mod I saw on another page and used a late seventies Dodge 318 carb. If you use the baseplate off of yours and the body off the dodge you can definitely pick up some power and maintain fuel economy. I did this at the same time as John Nutters ignition upgrade and have found the results to be very pleasing. The basic difference between the jeep carb and the 318 is that the barrells are about 2mm bigger on the dodge and there are less emissions controls on it so this is not for a street legal vehicle if you need to pass the sniffer test. If you need more info or a place to get one contact me. By the way a rebuilt unit tested and shipped is about $90.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Bottom line - it's pretty complicated. The whole carb / emissions systems on the later CJs and early YJs is a maze of relays, vacuum lines, valves, sensors, computer controls, coolant temperature operated valves, and exhaust piping. If you are in Cali, you don't have many options - fix it, or go to the mopar MPI, as I understand it is the only upgrade that is cali legal. Your problem could indeed be the carb, it could be in something else like a relay, or a vacuum line, or a computer, or any one of the maze of parts that are in there, from the cheap, to the expensive. Personally, I don't have to pass a visual inspection on my 88 YJ, just the sniffer, so I ditched the BBD and went to a weber and a GM HEI distributor, and took the computer out. It passes the sniffer great. You will see a whole lot of info here on all of these swaps, including the others posted here, like going to a dodge carb, or an early jeep BBD, or a holley, etc.,etc. There is an excellent source of info here on off-road.com as to what all of the parts in that emissions system do (I don't know the link offhand, but it's here somewhere), and that may help you determine what is wrong. A new carb is pretty steep, and it may or may not solve your problems. If your mechanic is not in tune, so to speak, on that whole system, I would take the jeep elsewhere.

Just my opinion,
Good luck
Pete

88YJ, 4"susp, 33"BFGMT, 9k#winch, rear homemade swingout, reb.258, 999, 4.10, weber32/36, GMHEI.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ll tell ya what, I’m a pro on this after my recent go with an old carb! I also have the Carter BBD, original equipment from 1985. I opted to replace it with a rebuild. I bought mine from AutoZone, for $250.00 with an $80.00 core. So basically $170.00 with a 2-year warranty. I also replaced all the vacuum lines, and have never been happier with the Jeep. I live in Colorado, and we have to pass an emissions test. To keep it legal I went back to the Carter. I personally found that my old carb was running about 60%, so this new carb has brought back new life to the Jeep. I did take mine, after a week of running very rich, to a mechanic to have a full tune and computer diagnostics done. It took about 30 minutes to get the old one off, and cleaned up for the new one. If you go for it, be sure to double check, which way the mounting plate is on, before you remove it. It’s a 50/50 chance and I got lucky with my guess, so….
If you are sure a new carb will fix the problem, do it. Be sure to check, your stepper motor, and oxygen sensor, as possible causes of your problem before you drop $200 bucks. You can check old posts, I think about a month ago, under my name, I asked all the questions and got a lot of advice! Let me know if you need something.

CJ More

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice, I'm putting it up for sale so if someone comes along I'll have some information for them on replacing the carb. I'd get it myself but since I live in the Cayman Islands, getting parts from onshore is not the easiest exercise. No emissions controls here so anything would go. I'd see about getting it rebuilt but my mechanic says he already tried that a few months back when the choke seized on it. It's ironic because this is the ideal place to drive an old Jeep with a lift kit (rainy season flooding and no speed limits over 40) but getting parts is impossible and quality service just as hard. Think I'll save my money and look at something newer. Thanks.

You can't judge a Jeep by its paint job!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.