Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have just put a new 350 in our 95 Wrangler that is bored 30 over and possibly has a cam in it. We are having a major problem getting it to stay running and think it may be a carburetor problem. We have a reman'd Holley Q-jet carb on it now, with the original fuel pump in the tank, and a Holley blue fuel regulator turning the fuel pressure down to about 8.5 psi and returning excess fuel to the tank. We get the engine to start, it runs for a brief time, and then dies even with the gas pedal pushed to the floor. Does anyone have any suggestions? things to check? how have any of you solved something similar? Thank you in advance.

White Rhino
95 Wrangler-Chevy

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I never tried using the stock sending unit, I used a stock chevy mechanical pump and sucked the fuel from the tank. Do you have a fuel pressure guage you can put in the line after the pressure limiter? or maybe one of those clear fuel filters?

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately we cannot use a mechanical pump because there isn't any place for it on the block.

White Rhino
95 Wrangler-Chevy

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I had the exact problem with mine though. It would run for a few minutes then shut off. It turned out that it ran just long enough to empty the bowls on the carb. I would suggest running it until it shuts off, then pull the top of the carb off and see how full the bowls are. My problem was "vapor lock", when I was sucking the fuel from the tank, there was no way to get air back in the tank. To solve it, I just drilled a hole in my gas cap.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.