Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm looking at getting rid of my stock carb on the '85 258 CJ7.

What would you recommend and why? Price? Available parts? Something else I dont know about?

Right now I'm down to weber or motocraft...leaning toward motocraft cuz it'll be $100 cheaper ($265 for motocraft kit on ebay vs $365 weber on ebay)...

I'm not looking to rebuild anything...

Thoughts?

Thanks
Patrick

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
What LEVE said.
Since I got a 2100 on my little CJ-5 I've been noticeing them everywhere in the junk yards...

Easy to rebuild too!
Just get a good can of carb cleaner solvent,
'cause Like a fat woman in the tub, there are places you just can't reach with a wash cloth!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
MC2100... If you've researched you know to find one stamped 1.08, I got mine off an 82 E150 van with a 302 V8. As the other's said, find one and rebuild it yourself. You can get the MR. Gasket carb adapter from the chain parts store and spend about $100.00 total... oops, $120.00, you'll need a new air cleaner. 9" chrome fits well.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi

Well, I got one off of ebay...an MC2100 that is...

The only thing I need is a part number for the choke...

I thought I might be able to use the one off the carter but the coil turns the wrong way when hot...ends up closing the choke plate when hot rather than opening it...

So, does anyone have a part number that I could take down to the parts shop and get one?

Carquest had a bunch of them with numbers like CV274 but I wasn't sure...I think CV274, CV101 and three or 4 more were listed for the 2100...

Thanks
Patrick

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I tossed the choke and installed a manual choke.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I'd try to find a choke that was made for the amc 304 when it was used in CJ7's. They also used the MC2100 carb.

In a pinch you can flip the bi-metal coil over and re-install to reverse its direction. I did that, but got tired of fiddling with the adjustments and simply went with a "universal" manual choke kit.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I have also totally given up on the complex choke workings. I converted to a manual choke, and I will never go back. It is so simple now. That being said, I don't need to mess with smog.... If you can, go with a manual choke... so simple.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.