Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hay jeepers my problem is my jeep starts good cold and when I get it hot and shut it off for just a minute or two it starts right up but if I get it hot and shut it off and let it sit for 15-30 minutes it is hard to start and smells like gas as it would if it was flooded. thanks for any help.. It is 1980 cj-7 258 6cyl. auto. stock carb but all emmisson gone.

·
Registered
325 Posts
What you describe is the exact problem I had a while ago. In my case it was the valve on the bottom of the bowl of the carb. It leaked all the gas out of it after 30 min or so. Rebuild the carb and it might fix your problem.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
JK
O|||O
78CJ5 360

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif You's in a heap o' trouble boy!/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif BY SOME CHANCE....in your de-smoggging frenzy, did you remove that innocuous little FUEL RETURN LINE which goes from the three-port fuel filter back to the tank? Hmmmm......did you? Well, if you DID, the fuel pump is putting too much pressure on the needle and seat and pours fuel in the carb while you are in the hardware store and when you come back out, you fill the parking lot with clouds of unburned fuel/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
10-4 on the clouds of unburned fuel...
Also, you are washing the oil off the cylinder walls, and filling your oil with gasoline, a really good astringent.

This is happening in either case, the valve leaking the first guy spoke of, or the fuel return CJ Dave spoke of.

Rebuild your carb and make sure the return line is hooked up. That should take care of the problem.

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.