Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Weber carb. about 9 months old. Three weeks ago My jeep started running like the choke was on. This happened all day. It also runs like this all the time. Only twice I would be accelerating from first or second and it suddenly went back to normal, only to go back the way it was when I started it in the morning.
I have check for vacume leaks and can't find any. I also feel like I lose around 30 horsepower when it runs like this.
The only way I can explain it is my jeep sound and feels like the choke is always on, but I checked it and it isn't.

If you have any questions for me please ask

thanks
Neversummer

86 CJ-7, 33x12.50 Pro Comp M/t, 4.10 gears, locked in front, 3 inch lift, new 4.2 engine with RV cam and weber carb.

Jason
'86 CJ-7
3" Rancho lift, 33x12.5 Pro Comp M/T,
4.10 Gears, and locker in front, Weber, Rebuilt 258

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sounds to me like your linkage on the weber is hanging up!
I have a weber too and have a few friends with them. If you did it yourself and it was your first time, the linkage can be tricky.
Also I had the main screw (the one on the throttle plate) loosing up one time. But it made my idle lower.
You have to make sure that throttle plate has full range of motion.
A friend of mine didn't the same thing, having high idle all the time.
His linkage was wrong
good luck

hope this helps

Rob
http://sites.netscape.net/tapboxerc/homepage

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My jeep still idles the same. It is like the fan is running faster and making more noise? Not sure if that is possible, although that is close to what is sounds like. I have checked for vacum leaks.
One thing that happened to my jeep right when this happened was the tube that brings unburnt fuel from the catalytic convertor back into the carb rusted off close to the firewall. My brother told me it was common on jeeps and to replace it. The thing is that I only noticed it then, It could have been rusted for awhile. But I don't think that this would make a difference because the hose from the catalytic conv. stopped about two inches from the carb. I thought that it should be inside the intake so it would create a vacum and suck the air from the catalytic conv. into the carb.

Jason

Jason
'86 CJ-7
3" Rancho lift, 33x12.5 Pro Comp M/T,
4.10 Gears, and locker in front, Weber, Rebuilt 258

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Jason, that's not quite how the system works, as I understand it. The flow of air goes from the air filter TO the catalytic converter, so as to provide fresh air (oxygen) for the chemical reaction that takes place in the catalytic converter.

Check these hoses very carefully, as any noise that you think may be exhaust could be leaking from these lines. There is also another line that goes to the exhaust manifold, to let air in there too.

Aother than that, I have had the adapter plates for the carb loosen up - remove the carb and check those too. And check the choke to be sure the linkage is free and moving properly.

Good luck
Pete

88 YJ - trails/beach trips only!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
90 Honda CRX - Daily pavement-pounder. 42 MPG. /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts