Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can\'t find my diff breather

74 CJ5, dana 30 front, dana 44 centered diff rear..found the front one,but i looked all over the rear axle.. couldn't findit.. can someone tell me where it is if I'm missin it?

· Registered
3,851 Posts
Re: can\'t find my diff breather

On my rear D44, and it could be quite different from yours, it's on the axle tube. It's just a cheap plastic piece that snaps into a hole on top of the axle tube. My front D44 has an piece of pipe cast into the top of the diff.

· Registered
1,704 Posts

Mines on the right side of the pumpkin on my rear 44 ('74 cj5). When I got it, the tube was gone, and the hole fulla crud. When I cleaned it up and found it, I found the threads were some oddball size. If I remember correctly, I tapped it for 1/4 pipe and put in a brass nipple and ran the tube up into the tub. I'm kinda anal about having the breather tubes vent way up in the air. I'll tell you about a D28 front I completely destroyed on a nearly new Ford Ranger that Ford put a 2" tube on with no check valve.....expensive lessons do have a tendency to teach!

G

·

mine is a 74 44 dana borg\warner 4 bolt axle tubes(thats how some come)and my breather is a slit in the bottom of both the axle tubes on the underside, where the brake backing plate bolts on.....really dumb spot, as soon as you drive in water as high as your tubes the diff cools and sucks water in..i ended up filling them , drilling holes in my tubes, and put one in the diff cover to..no more water in for me

· Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

thanks for the help! what did you use to fill in the slits? JB Weld? thanks!

G

·

i ended up just PERMASEALING some rubber into the space...and squashing down with the backing plate

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.